Bare-bones international service

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
You can't do this online, but I just called customer service and I'm so happy with the American folks answering the phones. Since we converted to FiOS we wanted to keep our beloved Chinese channels in the Taiwanese Mega Pack. The system allowed us to remove all our channels and go back to Great Wall TV package, except instead of the Great Wall package, we have Taiwanese Mega Pack channels. We were able to remove our grandfathered equivalent of today's "Classic Gold 250" and replace it for Taiwanese Mega Pack ($40) with Locals ($6), DVR advantage ($6), Cinemax for a penny for approx. $56/month.

We couldn't do this online, but we can do it over the phone. My family is happy we get to keep the Taiwanese Mega Pack.

We can probably negotate further, but we found that removing the $6 DVR advantage fee actually adds $5 to the plan, and removing the second 322 receiver also added a fee, so it was a wash and we ended up keeping our two-box, four tuner account active. In our area we are not allowed to remove locals. All-in-all it's a good deal and much more entertaining than the Great Wall Package. Naturally it requires 118.75.

Hope this is useful to you international viewers!!

Oh, and it turned off both Muzak and Sirius XM music. We have to find another source for the kids' sleeping music we listen to via FM transmitter off the second (322) receiver.

you should also be able to add the FREE Public Interest Pack to get some channels back
EKB: Free Public Interest Programming Package

Public Interest Channels at 110°
Channel Channel Name
197 The Documentary Channel
264 KTV (Daytime) & Spirit TV (Evening and overnight)
(Mirrored on channel 9394)
265 China Central TV 9
267 Christian Television Network
9400 The Research Channel
9401 HITN (Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network)
9403 BYU TV (Brigham Young University)
9404 University of Washigton TV (UWTV)
9407 Colours TV
9410 WorldLink TV
9415 Free Speech Television

Public Interest Channels at 118°
Channel Channel Name
9850 KBS World (Korean Broadcasting System)

Public Interest Channels at 119°
Channel Channel Name
210 Cable Satellite Public Affairs Network (C-SPAN)
213 NASA TV
260 Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN)
261 Eternal Word TV Network (EWTN)
9411 Northern Arizona University House
9412 University of California TV (UCTV)
9414 V-Me