Barrel Connectors Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just had my Hopper/Joey installed yesterday. Big hangup ended up being the blue barrels on the wall plates. No signal coming through, installer changed them out and signal works fine. These blue barrels were installed when my house was built in 2001.

There seems to be no or not enough standardization of barrel colors. I have been looking and have seen different colors for 3Ghz barrels and plates. Did 3Ghz barrels and plates even exist in 2001? I haven't been able to find them locally either at HD as others have reported finding them there.

Worked perfectly fine for AT&T U-verse the last 3 years.

haven't seen the frequencies that U-verse uses over coax, but it sounds like they may be way lower than what satellite companies have been using for many years. Dish DPP equipment was already up to 2.1 Ghz.

CEA/CEDIA 897 established color codes but they aren't universally adhered to.

http://www.ce.org/Standards/CEA_CEDIA-897_Final_Preview.pdf
that doc establishes the correct shade of color to use. Is there one that establishes a frequency that associates to those colors?

Last edited:
Is there one that establishes a frequency that associates to those colors?
You mean Table 2 that isn't there.

For $51 we can get the ANSI Standard document but I don't think it is that important.

I really think the manufacturers just aren't bothering with the color standard as far as the frequencies are concerned. It seems like for a while, cable/ant was white/clear and satellite was blue, then green, but more recently I'm seeing blue, green, white and clear rated for 2.1/2.5/3 Ghz with no rhyme or reason.

david_jr, Home Depot usually has Leviton, from what I've seen, which are blue inserts, rated to 2.5 Ghz, and they work fine in my testing of my H/J set-up - obviously, your mileage may vary. Lowes seems to carry OnQ/Legrand, which are white/clear, but say 3 Ghz on the packaging. My 1 year old bldg used Pass & Seymour (also Legrand) wall plates with white/clear inserts (different from the Lowes ones), and so far, they work just fine with H/J, as well, so who knows.

Last edited:
^^ Thanks for that info articos

^ auribe14 I was just curious about 3 Ghz barrels and plates. Never really gave much thought to it previously thought they were all the same until now with the introduction of the Hopper. Planning to upgrade in a couple months and would like to have everything ready. I have had several upgrades over my 15 years with dish starting with my own self install in 97 and the difference in the techs is frightening. Most have been very knowledgeable and one was a complete hack that Dish had to send someone else out to fix his very shabby install. Nuff said don't want to get too far off topic.

The big difference between the types of F81 barrels is the capture system for the center conducter. 3Ghz barels capture the conducter on at least 4 sides so that it remains perfectly centered in the air gap. the cheap barrels usualy only capture it from two sides which only centers it on one axis. If the installer is really carefull in how straight the center conduter is before inserting into a cheap barrel, it will pass 3ghz, but if the conduter is bent off center in any direction, the cheap barrels dont automatically recenter it, and you will see varying amounts of signal loss depending on how far off it is. The 3Ghz barrels are available in many colors as shown in this picture, but the most common is blue.

F81_hi_freq.jpg

Monoprice: F Type Jack Chassis Mount Coupler

Thank you for contacting us at Monoprice.com. In regards to your inquiry, the coupler item PID 689 is a 3Ghz barrel and does have 4 sides making contact with the conductor.

not sure how much i trust the reply, but I thought i'd at least check to see if we could find something inexpensive shipped from the USA.

Worth at least trying out considering the price. Especially if you have to order something else there anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts