Barrel Connectors Question

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
Do these white/greyish ones need to be replaced? Sorry for the awful iPad photo...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-2289732464.jpg
    image-2289732464.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 427
Blue barrels pass 3 GHz which the hopper needs, the joeys dont however if you are running 2 hopper than the whole install needs rg6 3 GHz wire AND barrels. We are told to replace all white and grey barrels

ShawnDishInstaller said:
Blue barrels pass 3 GHz which the hopper needs, the joeys dont however if you are running 2 hopper than the whole install needs rg6 3 GHz wire AND barrels. We are told to replace all white and grey barrels

Ok. Thanks! I'll have the tech replace them.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Thats cool, just what we were told in our H/J training

Just as a correction, it's not two hoppers that forces the whole install to be 3Ghz RG6. it's two taps that force the whole install to be entirely 3Ghz RG6.

As long as you don't have two taps, then the joey lines can use RG59 without changing the barrels on those lines.

(all from the training information and diagrams on the Dish Tech Portal, For example see this link: Hopper And Joey Wiring Diagrams)

Last edited:
Just as a correction, it's not two hoppers that forces the whole install to be 3Ghz RG6. it's two taps that force the whole install to be entirely 3Ghz RG6.

As long as you don't have two taps, then the joey lines can use RG59 without changing the barrels on those lines.

(all from the training information and diagrams on the Dish Tech Portal, For example see this link: Hopper And Joey Wiring Diagrams)

Funny thing is we have had joeys with black screens, and changing the barrel fixed it.

Funny thing is we have had joeys with black screens, and changing the barrel fixed it.
that's really great troubleshooting for that specific joey.

I wouldn't pretend to even say what saves time or not for your installs since i'm not an installer. It may be faster to change out those barrels on those joey lines than even troubleshoot bad barrels or do some quick troubleshooting later if one joey has issues.

All i know is that the joeys communicate at frequencies that are below 850mhz which is much less than even DPP equipment.

To minimize troubleshooting time, the tech who installed two hoppers for me didn't even install wall plates for the penetrations on those two new 3GHZ RG6 lines just so that's it's one less thing to mess with. Lines were straight through with wall bushings to the hopper. Didn't bother me any as after reading all the problems i'd rather everything work perfectly and do the wall plates myself in a few months when all the chaos went away.

Last edited:
There seems to be some question of the color codes and ratings of barrel connector.

I have seen some vendors offering Blue centers as 2.3 GHz and Green as 3GHz. Others say Blue centers are 3GHz.

I just received some connectors with Black centers and the vendor claims they are 3 GHz.

Is there a real color standard for center colors to denote frequency ratings. I haven't been lucky in finding one with a Google search.

There seems to be some question of the color codes and ratings of barrel connector.

I have seen some vendors offering Blue centers as 2.3 GHz and Green as 3GHz. Others say Blue centers are 3GHz.

I just received some connectors with Black centers and the vendor claims they are 3 GHz.

Is there a real color standard for center colors to denote frequency ratings. I haven't been lucky in finding one with a Google search.

Maybe it's a visual check for the techs to know that the barrels are being replaced?

i was pretty much wondering the same thing as i couldn't find anything that says that all blue barrels made in china are 3ghz rated.

I just received a response from a supplier of coax barrels questioning Black centers and quote:

"Black, Blue and Yellow (and sometimes Red) generally are all rated for 3GHz+.

If the Connector is clear or white it is usually rated for 1GHz.

We use these connectors on all of our satellite system designs, and they have a specific rating of up to 3.1GHz."

I accept the suppliers definition.

Just to make things a bit more complicated, was at Lowes the other day to pick up new keystone inserts, and OnQ/Legrand's are specifically rated to 3Ghz on the packaging but still white barrel inserts. They also have gold plated "professional" inserts at the twice the price that don't have the 3Ghz marking, but I'm assuming are as well, with blue centers.

articos said:
Just to make things a bit more complicated, was at Lowes the other day to pick up new keystone inserts, and OnQ/Legrand's are specifically rated to 3Ghz on the packaging but still white barrel inserts. They also have gold plated "professional" inserts at the twice the price that don't have the 3Ghz marking, but I'm assuming are as well, with blue centers.

I bought these exact keystone barrels, a 5 pack for $10. Hopefully the installer accepts the 3Ghz on the packaging.

If you have direct and short runs, any barrel will work.
just about anyone who's already using Dish Pro Plus equipment has basically tested their lines/barrels/connectors to 2.1 Ghz. I think it's more important that the Hopper lines at least use RG6 rather than RG59 than worry too much about barrels.

I guess you could mention it to your installer for the hopper coax lines since those are the one's that might even remotely matter for troubleshooting purposes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)