Barrel Connectors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Some white centered barrel connectors actually pass higher frequencies but are not gauranteed to pass them. I have used many old white barrels succesfully but on my own system did have a white barrel connector cause a signal problem.

Compared to your monthly Dish bill, they are cheap, so why not just get the insurance and switch out all the barrel connectors in your system (remember, that includes every wall plate and grounding connector) for 3 GHz tested models? My upgrade installer last year was adamant about changing out every barrel connector for a 3 GHz model even though the coax was only 2.5 GHz tested (though quad-shielded). I'm guessing 2.5 GHz will work fine in most cases, but I wouldn't use a standard Rat Shack barrel connector in my system (don't even use them in my OTA DTV antenna system).

I have been on several trouble calls where the white barrel (whether a splice or a wallplate) was THE PROBLEM.
So yes, changing the barrel is a good starting point.

white or cloudy clear?

I have been on several trouble calls where the white barrel (whether a splice or a wallplate) was THE PROBLEM.

Was it really a white foam , hard white plastic, or a clear one that had turned cloudy making it look whitish? The later are the two will only go to 1Ghz. The former usually are the 2.5 Ghz.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

HDTV is all about details. Every detail that you neglect robs you of some of the signal that is needed to provide a high quality viewing experience.

I already had RG6 pulled through my walls when the DISH installer came out to my place. When he saw the barrel connectors that I had in my wall plates, he told me that they wouldn't work properly. He replaced all of them for me while he was there.

Considering I wasn't charged extra for them, if the installer felt it was important enough to take the time to replace them for me while he was there, I'd say, yes... they make a difference.

-SF

Was it really a white foam , hard white plastic, or a clear one that had turned cloudy making it look whitish? The later are the two will only go to 1Ghz. The former usually are the 2.5 Ghz.

I really don't know. I just know they were not blue. Even if the white foam ones really do pass 2.5, they would still fail QC...

my experience has been that if the wallplate barrel is left low frequency, the connector behind it wasnt checked, and is probably more of a problem than the barrel itself

Barrels

It is a cumulative effect. I have white barrels, crimp on connectors going to both of my 722's. No loss of signal at all. The whole run is about ten feet. If the run was longer and I had multiple splices, it may become an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts