Basic: How do I connect an OTA HD Antenna?

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
Simple question and I even searched antenna manufacturer web sites and couldn't fiind a clear answer.

If I use a satellite setup, I have a satellite dish on my roof. Is there a way to mount an antenna outside but still use the rg-6 somehow that run from my dish to the HD receivers in the house to connect the OTA HD antenna as well? The reason I ask is I will have multiple HD receivers in the house on different levels (upstairs, main floor, and basement) so running new cables throughout the house for the OTA antenna installation is all but out as the house is complete and I would have to fish through walls, etc.

As a sidenote, my locals are all in the yellow zone and are approx 15-20 miles away so not sure if an indoor antenna would work.

TIA!

-Jeff

Yes, you can combine satellite and OTA signals using diplexers and/or multiswitch with an OTA input. Who is your satellite provider and what kind of antenna are you going to use? Amplified or non-amplified?

Thanks for your response. I currently have a Dish Network system so if I stay with them, from an HD perspective it will be a 'Dish 500' dish, a 921 HD DVR receiver and two 811 receivers.

Since I am fairly close to the locals, I assume I can use a non-amplified antenna. Then again, I know enough about all of this to be extremely dangerous and that's about it :).

Thanks!

A couple of things to be aware of, every split in the OTA signal lowers your signal strength about 3dbs. I would make sure that you use an outdoor antenna for the best intial signal strength. If you need to add any amplification after words you could.

To check if you need an amplified antenna, get a $10 Radio Shack set of rabbit ears and try at each location. It might be cheaper to buy 3 sets of indoor rabbit ears or even 3 sets of powered antennas but you should try and see at each location first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)