Battery Backup Suggestions

jmd102354

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2005
PA
With all the T storms and split second power losses I am considering a Battery Back Up for the 622. Any suggestions ?

I bought the much cheaper BE500V from APC (www.apc.com) when I built my Home Theater. It backs up and protects two DirecTV TIVOs plus the VIP 622 from DISH for a total of three DVRs, plus my A/V receiver. It would depend how long a back-up of power you require. Think there is something on their Site that would guide you as to what model you should purchase. Bought mine from Buy com. I saw no reason to back up the TV, but do have to re-set the screen size when it looses power. It works great and APC has a exchange program when battery goes or you want to upgrade. You might want to see if your local power company sells a whole house surge protector that mounts behind the meter. Another great investment for around $200 and they paid me $180 to have a DVR rebuilt as part of their guarantee due to a hit in the backyard. It came in the phone line but I had an optional monthly $1.99 coverage that covers other sources, too. These things prevent the damage caused by "Brown-Outs" where the power goes on & off for just a few seconds. They can really cause issues with DVRs! Not much money when you consider what your investment is even if rented now, and saving the time to have anything replaced. Come to think of it DISH should supply us one FREE to keep returns of receivers low. They really work, but with their new rehab plant opening that could effect those 1,300 new jobs! Good Luck...

halsan40 said:
If you buy it at the Belkin on line store, you can enter coupon # 12345 and get 40% off, at least it worked for me about a month ago.

:up

Ditto on the Belkin. Back when I ordered several 1100 VA units for home, the 12345 code was 50% and they also ran overnight shipping for the same price as standard shipping. I got a call from the Miami warehouse that afternoon confirming the order, was here next day (to NW Florida). Kudos to them! The code is only 40% off now but still a good discount. These units have seen more action than a soldier in Iraq! Hurricanes Ivan, Katrina and at least one other, in addition to the numerous thunder/lightning storms up here (Gulf Coast is one of the most active lightning zones in the US!) have all given these a good run for their money!

Do remember this though, applies to pretty much any UPS: the batteries won't last forever, I believe they suggest you replace the battery every 1 or two years for maximum effectiveness. There are many places that sell 3rd party generic batteries for a fraction of the original makers prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)