Bay Area Quality now...

C

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 28, 2006
So how is the HD local channels in the bay area now? Have issues been fixed? What channel are you getting in hd and the quality of each?

who_the

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
HD locals in 720p (KTVU/2-FOX and KGO/7-ABC) look good. Not quite as good as OTA, but really just fine. 1080i locals (KPIX/5-CBS and KNTV/11-NBC) look very poor, like they're skipping frames in addition to being overcompressed.

Grandude

Grandude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA
email to dishquality@echostar.com once and need to repeat as no reply as yet other than a request for more details. I sure hope they fix this soon.
KNTV channel 11 is atrocious to watch and KPIX channel 5 (ABC) has audio sync errors all the time. Sometimes worse and sometimes not too bad.
VERY disappointing.............................

M

Mikef5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 17, 2006
Milpitas, Calif.
Grandude,
Not to nit pick but KPIX is CBS, KGO is ABC. I've noticed the lip sync errors on ABC with my OTA setup so it might be a station problem, I don't watch alot of ABC except for Lost or if they're showing a sports program. Also I noticed that there are drop outs once in a while on CBS that will drop the signal both on OTA and on my Comcast channel so I'm sure that is a station problem since it happens on both at the same time ( I used split screen on the tv to verify this ). Yes, I'm cable just waitiing for my Dish install.

Laters,
Mikef5

Last edited:
hhkr

hhkr

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 25, 2005
Big Sur, CA
KTVU and KGO have definately improved and the picture quality is better. I have to reset just about every day to get KGO into snyc though. KNTV goes up and down, mostly down lately, but last week I saw a couple of better pq shows. KPIX has been going downhill, the CBS hd programs are quite good at times, but tonight NCIS is a little grainy and slightly blurry. All in all its improving.

Tim