Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You heard it here first (err maybe not...) at SatelliteGuys.US... it appears that Sirius XM will be getting rid of BBC Radio 1 and replacing it with a new channel called Studio 54.

This change is set to happen on August 15th.

(I should note it appears we were not the first to report the news... Looks like the news was reported on Sunday Night on XMFan.COM in their Dance forum... I checked XMFan before posting the news here last night but only checked in the programming forum, not the dance forum. So XMFan.COM reported it first. If you haven't checked out XMFan.COM check it out today, its a cool forum and I am on it a lot. :D)

Last edited:
You can always listen online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App
Which is one reason why they probably got rid of it.

I do agree with the general consensus. Since Sirius bought XM both have gone downhill, XM more so. Stations being removed, XM stations being replaced by poorer quality Sirius stations, music library diminishing from those stations that were kept, more DJ chatter (XM had no DJs at all on most stations), removal of ground repeaters (worse reception and affects XM more), poorer quality equipment, additional charges (on-line listening used to be free and included with a subscription), and price increases

Which is one reason why they probably got rid of it.

I do agree with the general consensus. Since Sirius bought XM both have gone downhill, XM more so. Stations being removed, XM stations being replaced by poorer quality Sirius stations, music library diminishing from those stations that were kept, more DJ chatter (XM had no DJs at all on most stations), removal of ground repeaters (worse reception and affects XM more), poorer quality equipment, additional charges (on-line listening used to be free and included with a subscription), and price increases
funny I remember XM having commercials ( for a bit) and Sirius running DJ free but I do agree with the rest of your comments

I am done with my XM sub, BBC Radio was one of my favorite stations, loved the news, music choice, and their morning talk show. I know I can listen to it on the web, but I wanted it in my car while I was driving. I am calling to cancel my sub today.

funny I remember XM having commercials ( for a bit) and Sirius running DJ free but I do agree with the rest of your comments

XM had commercials on the Clear channel stations and a small number of othrs (e.g Radio Classics) but not many.

I certainly do NOT remember Sirius being DJ free. There may have been a few stations that were but for the most part they had DJs and that policy pretty much took over at XM after the merger.

This sucks! It was very cool to listen to the live broadcast from London, especially the music.

When will Sirius just die?

It was never live on Sirius/XM. It is delayed so when you hear them saying its 8PM, it's 8PM Eastern Time.

Awesome! Personally, I always held the belief that all music channels should be done inhouse. Now if they could ditch a single artist channel or two, and bring back a few more formats things would be looking up.

Has anyone figured out how many channels are going to be dropped and when for the public interest channels? Thanks Mel for agreeing to whatever the gov. wanted to get your almighty merger. SiriusXM is going to lose a lot of subs. when he gets his price increase at the first of the year. I bet he tries to go up at least four dollars.

XM had commercials on the Clear channel stations and a small number of othrs (e.g Radio Classics) but not many.

I certainly do NOT remember Sirius being DJ free. There may have been a few stations that were but for the most part they had DJs and that policy pretty much took over at XM after the merger.

I'm pretty sure XM had commercials on all their music channels until sometime in late 2003, they only did away with them to compete with Sirius who had commercial free music channels since its inception

I'm pretty sure XM had commercials on all their music channels until sometime in late 2003, they only did away with them to compete with Sirius who had commercial free music channels since its inception

Actually it was half. From the original XM channel lineup I picked up when I first got interested in the service (circa Spring 2002), 35 of the music channels had commercials, 34 did not. Some channels were beyond XMs control, The Torch and Fish were from Salem Communications, MTV radio, VH1 Radio and BET Uptown were courtesy of Viacom, and MIX, KISS and a few others were Clear Channel of course. Many of the inhouse channels like The 90s, America, X Country Special X, On Broadway, On The Rocks, Ethel, Luna, The Move, Audio Visions, Fine Tuning and others were commercial free since day 1. Some inhouse channels like The 50s, Hanks Place, Cinemagic, Bone Yard, The Flow, Beyond Jazz, Club 82, CWave and others did have limited commercials (up to 6 min per hour I believe) but eventually XM went 100% commercial free on the music side of things in around 2004.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts