BBC Radio 1 Being Removed from SIRIUS/XM

BBC RADIO 1 IN PROGRAM GUIDE

Will our radios still say BBC Radio 1 in the program guide? Remember when we had MSNBC, but it said JBC Korean Radio in the guide. :rolleyes:

I gave up my XM account about six months after the merger. Now I stream Internet radio and listen to podcasts. I lost too many channels over the years. Honestly I don't miss XM all that much.

looks like BBC Radio 1 isn't the only channel that's a simulcast of an radio station from another country to get removed on Sirius-XM, i was listening to webstream of The Score Satellite radio aka Hardcore Sports Radio for Right After Wrestling, a wrestling talk show on that station. they played a bumper after that show ended saying that after August 31, the Score Satellite radio will be leaving Sirius ch 158, as in there contract to be carried on Sirius ends.

so if you are a regular listener of The Score Satellite Radio in both US and Canada. you will have to go to radio.thescore.com to listen to the webstream of The Score to hear the shows on that station or subscribe to the podcast of the shows.

so looks like Sirius-XM maybe losing more customers to Internet radio via the BBC Radio 1 removal and The Score Satellite radio removal on September 1st.

Sirius XM announced today they are adding BBC 1 Radio back, but only as an Internet channel.

I thought the name of the company was SiriusXM Satellite Radio?

So the million dollar question, why is a channel that’s called Studio 54, not on channel 54, which not so coincidently is where all the other dance channels reside?

The answer is because the Sirius Radios cant handle channel changes very well. (While its not an issue on the XM Radios...)

I can't say I've used a normal Sirius receiver in a long time, but my Sony A/V receiver had no issues a few months ago when the channel lineup was completely redone

Blame the Federal Censorship Corporation!

Satellite radio is more than capable of some pretty good sound quality. My old Sony A/V Receiver had XM built in and could do Neural 5.1 decoding. While I would never normally listen to Fine Tuning or XM Pops, those two channels sounded incredible and could rival Dolby 5.1. Too bad XM never expanded their XMHD stuff. Even if you had hardware that wasn’t able of doing Neural, due to the amount of bandwidth these channels were given, they were still at least CD quality and much better then FM radio.

I don’t put the blame of the sound quality issues on XM, Sirius or now Sirius XM. Yes, bandwidth is wasted and used inefficiently, but I put the blunt of the blame on the FCC. Those commies never wanted satellite radio to exist. They wanted to protect their terrestrial buddies and the NAB. So they intentionally limited the amount of bandwidth they licensed for SDARS use. And to add insult to injury XM needed to seek investment from those asshats at Clear Channel so the FCC won in two ways. Not only did they limit SDARS bandwidth to restrict sound quality, but now, while all terrestrial radio is evil, the most evil of them all has a presence in the spectrum. The FCC didn’t want satellite radio to exist, and despite all the hurtles faced they launched and did pretty well, and now the FCC has to do everything in their power to see it brought down so the freedom is speech over the airwaves is restricted like they want it to be.

I have Sirius built into my new home theater receiver and listen to that, I also have Shoutcast built in, and both my TV and blu ray player do Pandora and Slacker. In my personal car I have my old XM Roady XT hooked up and at work I stream Sirius XM and Pandora. To hell with all terrestrial broadcasters! To hell with the FCC! To hell with them all, may they all burn and rot!

You're still a dumbass. (Just like you're a dumbass for claiming that retention gamers are the cause of all Sirius/XM's financial problems). Both companies had plenty of bandwidth for their original lineups, but then they got greedy and squeezed in more than they could handle so they had to cut the bandwidth to other channels to make room. The whole fiasco as it stands right now is squarely Mel Karmazen's fault. He is the CEO (I still fail to understand how the failing company got the controlling stake), and he is a NAB buttpuppet. His favorite quote is "Thank you sir, may I have another." He is simply trying to drive the company into the ground so he can take his golden parachute and run.

Which is one reason why they probably got rid of it.

I do agree with the general consensus. Since Sirius bought XM both have gone downhill, XM more so. Stations being removed, XM stations being replaced by poorer quality Sirius stations, music library diminishing from those stations that were kept, more DJ chatter (XM had no DJs at all on most stations), removal of ground repeaters (worse reception and affects XM more), poorer quality equipment, additional charges (on-line listening used to be free and included with a subscription), and price increases

I'm a little late to chiming in on this topic, but I couldn't agree more. I began my XM subscription in November 2001 (actually had it installed Thanksgiving weekend at Best Buy). I enjoyed the wide variety of music without the chatter that you got on terrestrial stations. Once the merger occurred, the quality of the product has decreased. I just want to listen to music and not have a DJ talk about something that has no bearing on the piece of music just played.

I'm a little late to chiming in on this topic, but I couldn't agree more. I began my XM subscription in November 2001 (actually had it installed Thanksgiving weekend at Best Buy). I enjoyed the wide variety of music without the chatter that you got on terrestrial stations. Once the merger occurred, the quality of the product has decreased. I just want to listen to music and not have a DJ talk about something that has no bearing on the piece of music just played.

You're absolutely right. The merger has resulted in the exact opposite of what Mel swore up and down to the FCC, DoJ, and SEC would happen. We now have LESS choices, HIGHER prices, LOWER quality, and ZERO hardware innovation. They should haul his ass in front of a review committee and make him own it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts