Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
We had been enjoying this feed on 12169 H 4444 between 1700 and 1730 Eastern
but yesterday it was gone !!
Any ideas about where it is now ?
Thanks
Tony

those 3 channels on 125W (12162, 12169, 12175 H 4444) are pretty random. I was under the assumption that the programming on there changes daily

Thanks
Tony

I watched it yesterday at 2pm or 3pm Pacific time, but it's strenght was really low for me, unlike other times (30-40 Q).

Cheers

Mike

those 3 channels on 125W (12162, 12169, 12175 H 4444) are pretty random. I was under the assumption that the programming on there changes daily

Although there are probably occasional things on there that might pop up on a one time basis, most of the things follow a pretty stable schedule. A few years ago, I made a list of what was on on each channel every hour from when I got up to dinner time, and the schedule was pretty constant week after week. There are still shows on at the same time that they were years ago, back when these channels were DCII back on AMC3. Obviously most of the schedule has changed over the years, but it's usually pretty stable for months at a time.
The BBC news has been on that channel since it was back on AMC3, while the switchover from DCII to FTA was still ongoing. It has changed times slightly I think. For a while they were showing the BBC news about 6 times daily, other times just a couple times around 6PM +/- an hour.
In my old listing from 3 or 4 years ago, I have BBC news listed as being on at 6PM and 7PM daily back then. I'm wondering if the switch from standard to daylight time has changed the times by an hour. I just now noticed an add for BBC news on that PBS channel, but I didn't have the audio on, so I don't know what they said, but since they have an add, it must be still on there.
Anyway, I bet they just changed time, not that it's gone. It has been there for years.

EDIT: I wonder when the British switch from standard time to daylight time, or whatever they call it? I bet that they didn't change the date like we did here in the states.

EDIT: I wonder when the British switch from standard time to daylight time, or whatever they call it? I bet that they didn't change the date like we did here in the states.

hxxp://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/uk/

The UK is in the Western European Time Zone; GMT is the Standard Time and in the summer months British Summer Time is in use.​

USA & Canada: Clocks on Daylight Saving Time / Europe switches Sunday 28 March. They call it Western European Time Zone. But if one is in Central Europe, it is called CET.

Does Central European Time (CET) observe Daylight Saving / Summer Time?

Like most states in Europe, Summer (Daylight-Saving) Time is observed in Central European Time (CET), where the time is shifted forward by 1 hour; 2 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+2).​
After the Summer months the time in Central European Time (CET) is shifted back by 1 hour to Central European Time (CET) or (GMT+1)​

hxxp://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/european-union/central-european-time/

Last edited:
BBC World News has been on at 5 and 7PM AST, 12169H 444 for half an hour for at least the last 3 months, I have had my PC sent to record at this time with no problem.

Up until this week I've had no problem with the signal strength but this week it has been really weak just above threshold.

Watching it now and so far its hanging in there.

Can you give me a bit more info about how you use your pc to record the program

Thanks

Tony

use software such as dvbviewer that works with your PCI satellite tuner card that at a certain day and time, it'll tune the signal and record the transport stream. You can then watch the transport stream file directly with VLC or use video conversion software to edit it/process it for ipod, dvd archiving, etc.

Thanks
Tony

it's a public television syndication feed (on one of the three SR 4444 frequencies for syndication feeds to PBS stations). I believe it runs daily as I think I"ve seen it even on Sunday and not just M-F. Your local PBS station may even air the BBC World News in the evenings like my local PBS station does.

I believe KCET Los Angeles syndicates it to PBS stations across the continent.

Just about all the DVB sat programs have some sort of rerecord scheduling function built in, DVB Dream and ProgDVB are good free ones.
MyTheatre and DVBviewer are not but work well, right now I'm using DVBviewer it's cheap and has lots of useful plugins.
If you can get XMLTV TV guide data (usually a pain to get) it can directly import the data for those channels and set up a program guide, so that you can set up recordings from the guide without having to set stop and start times for every recording manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydix
Can you give me a bit more info about how you use your pc to record the program

Thanks

Tony

use software such as dvbviewer that works with your PCI satellite tuner card that at a certain day and time, it'll tune the signal and record the transport stream. You can then watch the transport stream file directly with VLC or use video conversion software to edit it/process it for ipod, dvd archiving, etc.
The problem is, that many people aren't happy with just being able to play back via computer, particularly if you want to watch high bitrate HD, which with most computers won't play smoothly on a computer unless it's a very fast computer, or one with efficient video cards.
However, if your PC card is compatable with TSREADER, there are other options.
I currently have 3 FTA cards in my main computer and use a USB receiver in another, and have an HD-HomeRun on my LAN for OTA ATSC, which can be accessed by any of my computers. All these devices can be used to record directly to hard drive. TSREADER can manually schedule recordings, or, if there is an EIT or similar source of programming info, you can schedule recordings by simply double clicking on the program name.
Once recorded, these programs can be played back on the computer via VLC, as mentioned above, _OR_ I can play these directly from either my ROKU HD1000, or my PopCornHour, or my Azbox. I can also stream live from any of the sources via TSREADER to the 3 boxes. Everything is done without leaving my recliner. My main computer with the 3 FTA cards is downstairs, however I have a laptop next to my recliner, and I have a VNC server on the downstairs computer, so I can run TSREADER via a remote desktop on my laptop.
Playback via either of the 3 playback devices is very easy. In all three, you basically go to a file server directory tree which shows up shared drives on your local network, you select the recorded file you want, then you're playing on your TV. Good and bad points of the 3 playback devices are:

(1) ROKU HD-1000 Good points are that it is very quick navigation, very easy to use. It will play back high bitrate 4.2.0 MPEG2 video with excellent quality, and you can adjust for overscaned or underscaned TV screens. You can also play MP3 and other music formats and set up photo displays where you can cycle through a series of jpg files while playing mp3 music in the background. The ROKU also has very convenient fast forward/reverse buttons that will jump forward a set amount, like 3 minutes, which is a quick way to skip through commercials. There are 2 sets of buttons the 2nd set of which jumps in smaller increments. The Roku also plays back at a very controlled rate even if you pause playback, so you can pause video to sync with audio from other sources.
The bad points of the ROKU are that it is no longer manufactured, so you have to find them used. I have 2 of them, one just a spare in case my main one ever dies. The other issue is that the ROKU only does 4.2.0 MPEG2. It does NOT do 4.2.2 or MPEG4. Also, it doesn't have an HDMI output, only component, however the video quality through the component output is equal to any other device I use with HDMI. There are also 3rd party programs that will do a few neat things, like sending a remote computer desktop to your TV via VNC so that you can demonstrate computer programs on your TV.

(2) PopCornHour Good points are that the PCH can play MPEG4, and SD 4.2.2, and there are a few other varieties of formats it plays better than the ROKU. It will not play HD 4.2.2. PCH has HDMI output.
The bad points of the PCH are that it's user interface is very slow when setting up, or navigating between computer shares. Also, setting it up for live streaming is a bit more cumbersome than it is with the ROKU, mainly because TSREADER has built in functionality to control the ROKU. With the PCH, you have to initiate playback both on the PCH and on TSREADER or other streaming program.

(3) Azbox Good points are that it does MPEG4 and 4.2.2. The Azbox has HDMI, and can output in 1080p if you can find source material in that format.
Bad points are that streaming is very cumbersome, and not yet fully supported well. Also , with the firmware versions I've used, it isn't yet capable of doing high bitrate HD. Supposedly this may be corrected in later firmware versions. Basically, the Azbox has the potential to be the best of the 3, but as yet is only partially functional.

Overall, recordings played back via ROKU or PCH are excellent quality. I use mainly the ROKU because it has the most user friendly interface. I use it a lot toplay OTA ATSC programs, and if I get home say 10 minutes after a program starts, I can start playing it back while it is recording, and I can usually catch up to live by using the 3 minute jump forward during commercials. I only use the PCH or Azbox when the recording is MPEG4 or 4.2.2 .

There are other programs besides TSREADER and VLC that will stream to these playback devices, but I'm not as familiar with their use.

Anyway, the above is just to make it clear that if you use a PCI card receiver, that you're locked into viewing programming on a computer. If you have network playback devices like the ROKU or PCH, playback is excellent and convenient on your TV. I use my computer card receivers more than any of my STBs.

There is also a device called the WDTV Live. I have a couple of these, and they are a great value for the money. If you shop around, they can be had for about $100 shipped. They will play back just about anything, including MPEG-4 and subsets such as AVCHD without any problems. The WDTV Live is also networkable. On a recent trip to the museum for a Disney exhibit here in New Orleans, I noticed that they were using WDTV Live units on each flat panel in the exhibit.

There is also a device called the WDTV Live. I have a couple of these, and they are a great value for the money. If you shop around, they can be had for about $100 shipped. They will play back just about anything, including MPEG-4 and subsets such as AVCHD without any problems. The WDTV Live is also networkable. On a recent trip to the museum for a Disney exhibit here in New Orleans, I noticed that they were using WDTV Live units on each flat panel in the exhibit.

That looks pretty neat. Spec wise, it looks similar to a PopCornHour. Any chance that it can play HD 4.2.2 ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)