BBCA HD Rollout Has Begun....

schmataboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Bordentown, NJ
According to BBCA's Facebook page:

Deal has been completed w/ Time Warner Cable to offer BBC AMERICA HD. Time Warner Cable NYC is first to roll it out. Available today Ch. 685

Well, it finally started, how long does anyone think it will be before Dish gets it?

Well, it finally started, how long does anyone think it will be before Dish gets it?

The question is not how long until Dish gets it, but how long until they make it available to subscribers? It's been reported from multiple sources that it has been uplinked and testing on Dish for well over a month. Dish just needs to flip the switch.

I agree. BBCAHD feed is provided by Discovery Communications. I believe that they still have a strong relationship together. Dish has been quick about providing their HD feeds in the past.

You have a link to that ? I don't find any info on BBCA on Discovery Communication's website, except for a co-production Discovery HD did with the BBC on a "Planet Earth" series.

You have a link to that ? I don't find any info on BBCA on Discovery Communication's website, except for a co-production Discovery HD did with the BBC on a "Planet Earth" series.

Discovery Networks does indeed have the exclusive USA distribution rights for BBCA, and it will use the leverage of its Discovery Channel and other channels to get BBCA carriage, although BBCA is not owned by Discovery Networks.

The question is not how long until Dish gets it, but how long until they make it available to subscribers? It's been reported from multiple sources that it has been uplinked and testing on Dish for well over a month. Dish just needs to flip the switch.

But they cannot flip the switch until they agree on a price.

If it were free to Dish, Dish would have already turned it on.

BBC America is somehow "managed" or "distributed" by Discovery, but it is not a "Discovery Network"

The same goes for The Travel Channel, I believe.

EDIT- BBC America Press - Corporate

Correct. Discovery provides distribution for BBC America in North America, and distribution & services ad sales for Travel Channel. BBCA is wholly owned by BBC Worldwide Americas, itself a subsidiary of the BBC, and Travel was formerly owned by Discovery, but is now owned by Cox. Distribution just means the main feed is provided via Discovery's master control in VA. All content and programming decisions are controlled by the respective channel owners.

But they cannot flip the switch until they agree on a price.

If it were free to Dish, Dish would have already turned it on.

Keep in mind, it's not just a matter of the contract being in place and the technical side being good to go, there are other factors that play into the decision as to when a channel is lit up. (i.e. marketing, csr training, other contractual obligations, etc. etc. etc.)

Last edited:
Discovery Networks does indeed have the exclusive USA distribution rights for BBCA, and it will use the leverage of its Discovery Channel and other channels to get BBCA carriage, although BBCA is not owned by Discovery Networks.

Yes, as I found out this morning.

From BBCA: "With Discovery Communications Inc (DCI) we deliver the international Animal Planet and People+Arts channels. "