BCS Commisioners now open to Plus-1?

You're going to give Notre Dame or BYU an automatic spot ?

ANd 5 conferences only get 1 spot? They'll love that.

I dont like it because in the case of this season you would have the team that won the BCS Championship left out for teams such as Clemson, West Virginia, whoever you sent as an independent, and a rep from the lesser conferences. And it is not just Bama that is obviously better than some of the "champions" or the "wild card" team.

That's what would make getting to the conference championship AND winning it more important to college teams than putting powder puff "Sisters of the Poor" colleges on your schedule. It'll make it more important to beat the teams in your division than to beat Georgia Southern or Appalachian State.
There were plenty of teams with a better record than the Denver Broncos who didn't make the playoffs. If you want into the National Championship playoffs,win your division & the conference championship. The real headache will be choosing the best Independent & lesser conference representative for the playoffs. The ideal solution is to reduce down from 12 Conferences/Independents to 8 Conferences & no independents.

How about the winners from the ACC,Big Ten,Big 12,Big East,Independent,PAC 12,& SEC Championship games(7 teams) + one representative chosen from the best of the C-USA,MAC,Mountain West Conference,Sun Belt Conference,& WAC combined(1 team) & then have an 8 team championship series.

Not bad, but I wouldn't limit the Champions of the other conferences to just one representative. Traditionally, its been one to three at the most that end up ranked in the top 25. Some minimum ranking rule should apply.

With the Independent, since its not a conference, I would have to say they need some type of Notre Dame rule. Minimum number of wins and possibly ranking. They don't usually interplay one another.

Also, I would remove Big East from an automatic and stuff them with the other conferences. They aren't much stronger than the MWC or C-USA. Well, they are maybe a bit now since they cherry picked some teams from them. They are definitely not on par with the other five conferences.

EDIT:
Just realized you meant an Eight team playoff. My solution I was saying would work out in a 16 team playoff. The positions that don't get filled are made up through the extra available spots. Alabama, Stanford, Boise, etc would still have been included.

Last edited:
...Also, I would remove Big East from an automatic and stuff them with the other conferences. They aren't much stronger than the MWC or C-USA. Well, they are maybe a bit now since they cherry picked some teams from them. They are definitely not on par with the other five conferences...
Then you'd have to look at removing the ACC, which currently isn't any better.

That's what would make getting to the conference championship AND winning it more important to college teams than putting powder puff "Sisters of the Poor" colleges on your schedule. It'll make it more important to beat the teams in your division than to beat Georgia Southern or Appalachian State.
And you would have three teams ranked in the top 5 (using the SEC as an example) left out simply because they play in the toughest division in college football over a team like West Virginia or Clemson (for example). Think the outcry is bad now? You aint seen nothing like it if they go that route.

If they went in that direction, I would lobby hard for Bama to become an independent, and I would wager several schools would consider it. Assuming independents were considered for a slot, and lets face it, as long as ND stays that way, they will.

Id be far more in favor of it if they did away with conference tie ins for the slots, and just took the highest rated teams, by whatever method is decided upon to select them.

That could be done, but the ACC has traditionally been a stronger conference than the Big East. The other thing is that the Big East has been loosing its most powerful football teams.
WVU yes, Pitt no. SMU, going to the Big East, had no problem giving them a going away present during bowl season. And isn't Boise St. going to the Big East?

Id be far more in favor of it if they did away with conference tie ins for the slots, and just took the highest rated teams, by whatever method is decided upon to select them.

The method I outlined would include 8 conference tie ins with 8 at large being given by ranking.
SEC: LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina
Big 12: OSU, Kansas St, Baylor, Oaklahoma
ACC: Clemson, V.Tech
MWC: TCU, Boise St
Pac 12: Oregon, Stanford
Big 10: Wisconsin
Big East: WV

Seeding would probably follow the lines of the BCS type rankings.

WVU yes, Pitt no. SMU, going to the Big East, had no problem giving them a going away present during bowl season. And isn't Boise St. going to the Big East?

You left out Miami, BC, and V Tech. They are the only "Power" conference that has been filling back up with lesser conference universities. To put it another way, since the Big East went to football in 1991, only ONE of those original universities (Rutgers) will still be with the conference after the WVU leaves. All the new ones will come from C-USA and MWC.

You left out Miami, BC, and V Tech. They are the only "Power" conference that has been filling back up with lesser conference universities. To put it another way, since the Big East went to football in 1991, only ONE of those original universities (Rutgers) will still be with the conference after the WVU leaves. All the new ones will come from C-USA and MWC.
I understand how the conferences have changed. Fact of the matter is that the ACC better step up OOC if they don't want the AQ pulled as well.

Evidently 1-AA is going from 16 to 20 teams with the 8 lowest seeds doing a play-in game. Why not go that route, you could have all 11 conference champs with 9 at larges. That way any and all legitimate contenders have a shot.

Where do you play these games??
can you imagine using a neutral site for these games and people spending like they do during the past championship games. Most people could not afford to go to two different sites two weeks in a row. At some point home games will need to come into play but with the bowls I don't see it happening anytime soon. Do I want a playoff? Hell yes!! The more the better. I'd rather them fix the stupid idea of waiting 5-6 weeks to play a championship game. What a joke!! As it is now you are playing for a right to play in the championship game. I still say start the season a few weeks later or do a playoff.

Where do you play these games??
can you imagine using a neutral site for these games and people spending like they do during the past championship games. Most people could not afford to go to two different sites two weeks in a row. At some point home games will need to come into play but with the bowls I don't see it happening anytime soon. Do I want a playoff? Hell yes!! The more the better. I'd rather them fix the stupid idea of waiting 5-6 weeks to play a championship game. What a joke!! As it is now you are playing for a right to play in the championship game. I still say start the season a few weeks later or do a playoff.

You could use home games for first games, then smaller bowls (or home games) for middle games, and then major bowls for quarterfinals, semifinals and final.

Or something like that.

But right now, they can't even get a four game playoff going, so this 8 to 16 team thing is a BIG pipe dream for all of us.

Last edited:
I really don't care what they do as long as they don't wait 40 days to start playing games. Let them play the games while they are in their groove. I hate to see a good team have to sit a month and loose their mojo.

You can have bowls or playoffs, not both. Expecting people to travel, on five day's notice, for three or four weeks to see a "quarter final" and then again and again, is silly. Expecting locals to turn out to see the games is sillier still. Playoffs will kill the sport. That simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts