BD 3D Spec finalized

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
"...to any compatible 3D display..."

I assume this means new TVs only. It'll be many years before I'll spring. Maybe if a current HDTV dies, and only then if it's after a couple more years.

Yeah, and it feels like all the TV companies are coming out with their own way of doing 3D too, which should shake out smoothly, right :rolleyes:

There's still no good way to do this without glasses too, right? Best we can hope for is the standard is for the clear glasses that help break up a specially formated picture? Or is that reliant on a screen/angle too?

We're about to buy our 2nd LCD TV, which means we're going to be a couple-few-several years out from considering paying a premium for 3D, perhaps it wont be a premium by then.

I would never wear 3-D glasses over my glasses for my regular home TV viewing. Once in a while in the theater is OK, but not every time I pop in a movie or play a video game.

I already stated in another thread and on my my blog that whenever the RealD technology is available for the home I will buy one. With the announcement of this new spec, and the Sony/RealD announcement yesterday, it looks like I might need to start saving my money right now to get one as early as sometime in 2010.

Of course, this is announced less than a month after I bought my very first BD player which I'm not even allowed to take out of the box for another week. Hopefully it will be compatible, or can get a firmware upgrade for compatibility with the new spec. I know the old RPTV will need to be replaced.

References: RealD's 3D technology coming to Sony Bravia HDTVs, PS3's Blu-ray player | Home Theater | ZDNet.com
RealD - The Global Leader in 3D - Media Room

I would never wear 3-D glasses over my glasses for my regular home TV viewing. Once in a while in the theater is OK, but not every time I pop in a movie or play a video game.

Who knows Holographic TV might only be 20 years away

It just occurred to me, are the BDA spec and the Sony/RealD partnership two completely different things? Or is the latter to be an implementation of the former?

Sony got the spec done so they could quickly partner up and get hardware in place, is my impression. This makes it so they are able to point to it and say 'look, this is the official stuff' in case any rival/competing/incompatible versions pop up.

Your 2nd sentence is correct.

3D conversion

During the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con, director James Cameron announced that Titanic is in the process of being converted into 3-D and re-released at some point in 2011.[69][70][71] Speaking at the convention, Cameron said:
We can't call it dimensionalisation, we have to call it conversion. That's the same thing, we're going to turn it into high quality 3D. It takes about a year to 18 months to do it depending on the complexity. We've been told somewhere around a year, maybe 14 months. We've tested it, seen a couple of minutes converted. It looks spectacular. But it really requires the filmmaker to be involved to make sure that the Stereo Space decisions are made correctly.

I have a question about this relating to Classic Black and White
films of the past. Could any old Black and White film shot on 35mm film
be converted to 3-D if they spent the money to do it?

I question how well a movie shot in 2D could be successfully converted to 3D. Can't even convert audio to surround sound very well, why expect video to be any better, or even as good?

So is this spec going to work with the multiple kinds of televisions coming out of CES? Or will the no-glasses 3D require a different source, and Sony has locked us all into a 3D-with-glasses future?

meStevo-

There is some substance to the complaint. The problem with 3:2 pull down is it generates a degree of judder. In the sample of Avatar, I saw it looked pretty good but other programing had somewhat sever judder. Much of it has to do with right to left camera paning too. SMPTE dedicates a whole chapter to this in the cinematographers guides. The secret is to keep the pans very slow and mostly movies avoid scene panning altogether.

Also, while the Blu Ray spec has been finalized in a new addition to the HDMIv1.4 , the monitors are still uncertain. Most now support the active shutter technology as opposed to the Circular polarization. A few companies still haven't come on board. A program designed for 3D on a shutter monitor cannot be viewed with circular Polarized glasses and vice versa. Until they decide on a standard monitor technology, you could end up owning technology that will not work with content designed to display on the other. Time to wait until the industry decides the entire process. HDMI v 1.4 was just the first step.

Oh and BTW- it appears this can be done by a firmware upgrade. Look for it on the PS3 first. Sony announced it will first do the firmware upgrade to do 3D for games, and later for movies.The system will be shutter glasses monitor design.

DirecTV has 3 channels in mind to display Full HD 3D. Only programs produced in 3D will be offered. There have been more programs shot in 3D than you realize. Most have been done with benched dual cameras. Panasonic has created the first dual camera camcorder for lower end TV production.

Forget the glasses less 3D displays. They are not ready yet and the technology looks awful PQ at this time.

If you buy a TV that says 3D compatible, now, you may be buying a technology that will not accept the standard to be adopted.

By my count ( there may be others) there are 4 major companies that are supporting the the shutter glasses design and one supporting the polarized glasses. Of the 4, only one is supporting Full H resolution HD. The others are at half H resolution. The only company I saw that is supporting front projection 3D is doing it with circular polarization.

Last edited:
And what PQ there is, drops off rapidly as you move off center, no?

No, the images in front of the screen will bend toward you as you move side to side, quality does not really change. Images deep into the screen also move or skew away from you. These properties seem common to all forms of display technologies in 3D.

In holographic 3D technology, when you move to the side, you experience a real world view of the side of the virtual image.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts