• No

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
My local library has just started adding BD to its collection of video available to borrow. Probably a couple dozen BD titles vs 1000's of DVD so far. But its a start.

Does your Local Library have DVD? BD? Perhaps still has VHS. (mine dumped its VHS a few years ago offering them for sale cheap).

In today's budget climate, with many layoffs in the library system, and all but eliminating periodicals, I don't see BD for many years, if ever.

Orlando Library .
DVD's Yes. Tons of them including TV Series
Blu Ray no
Video Games including PS3 games , Nintendo , Xbox
VHS tapes but not many left

In fact it takes up most of the time of the people in the Library restocking these items according to my friend who works at our branch.

So please tell why the library should be doing this? I don't have a problem with dvds like learning dvds or documentaries etc but Everybody Loves Raymond? Movies?
Remember it's the taxpayers who pay for this.

Generally, items stocked are not available at rental stores. It is a service, media comes in paper, tape, disc and electrons.

It is a service, media comes in paper, tape, disc and electrons.

I totally agree. What's the difference between a Sandra Bullock romantic comedy, or season 4 of Law and Order, and carrying cheesey dime-store romantic novels or crime/mystery fic in book form? Bottom line, libraries are paid for by taxpayers, so give them what they want, so long as they are still stocking the same level fiction and nonfiction books and periodicals they always have.

Also, DVDs are clearly getting people into libraries to use their services, delaying a time when they may become obsolete if everything goes digital.

Libraries are morphing. Becoming more of community centers. Meeting rooms, presentations, internet use, as well as all the traditional uses. Books are still popular. They'll change, and stick around. At least until most people are constantly carrying around small easy to use PCs. Smartphones with projectors & keyboards? Even then, there will be other purposes, and people who don't/won't have such on person access.

I think we need another 20 years of libraries. Then maybe we can retire.

I have access to all the libraries in our county online(14 I think). I reserve DVD's, books, etc. and pick them up at my local library. They have about 2 dozen Blu-ray movies now. I haven't rented a DVD in at least 5 years. Not only they're free, you can keep them for a week.

I haven't been to the Library in a few months, but we used to get "regular" dvd's at the local library. They have a pretty good collection. I'll have to re-visit soon to see if they've updated to BD's...

My local library has whatever people donate and they circulate whatever they can.

They were circulating HD-DVD/DVD combo discs but since BD doesn't support combo, they're disinterested in dealing with the complications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)