Beautiful Starling Murmuration

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
I've seen videos of this for 50 years but it's only recently that I've read up on this phenomenon. Scientists still don't know how this is accomplished, all moving in pretty much the same direction as a group without colliding, without an apparent leader. Speculations are many. Is it telepathy or a quantum physics effect or something we are not aware of. Amazing. It doesn't seem possible that they can communicate in mere milliseconds as to direction and speed. But one thing for sure, it is beautiful. I would love to see this in person. Anyone here seen this?

Some info:
Swarm behaviour - Wikipedia
Flocking (behavior) - Wikipedia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV54oa0SyMc&ab_channel=MarcoValk

Last edited:
Reactions: c-spand
I've seen videos of this for 50 years but it's only recently that I've read up on this phenomenon. Scientists still don't know how this is accomplished, all moving in pretty much the same direction as a group without colliding, without an apparent leader.
News to me. I thought this behavior was perfectly reproduced via simulation.
Speculations are many. Is it telepathy or a quantum physics effect or something we are not aware of. Amazing. It doesn't seem possible that they can communicate in mere milliseconds as to direction and speed. But one thing for sure, it is beautiful.
It is. I don't believe it's either telepathy or quantum physics involved. From my memory reading about the simulations is that all a bird has to do is pay attention to the nearest birds. They have no knowledge of and probably cannot even see birds farther away. These lovely patterns are emergent from a very few rules that the birds follow. And that is a feature of complexity (sometimes called chaos) theory.

Last edited:
I've seen videos of this for 50 years but it's only recently that I've read up on this phenomenon. Scientists still don't know how this is accomplished, all moving in pretty much the same direction as a group without colliding, without an apparent leader. Speculations are many. Is it telepathy or a quantum physics effect or something we are not aware of. Amazing. It doesn't seem possible that they can communicate in mere milliseconds as to direction and speed. But one thing for sure, it is beautiful. I would love to see this in person. Anyone here seen this?

Some info:
Swarm behaviour - Wikipedia
Flocking (behavior) - Wikipedia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV54oa0SyMc&ab_channel=MarcoValk

It looks bewitching, like one living being.
Do they really not collide at all, at least with their wings?