Before I call, I need advice...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjmsr53

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Lombard Illinois (60148)
Due to a recent injury, my finances will be cut due to Short Term Disability - and knowing the economy, that puts my job in jeopardy.

Knowing this, I need to cut costs.

Couple of questions for the experts:
1) I started DTV in 11/08 - I have a DVR in one room and a standard receiver in another. I have the HD Choice Xtra package. Knowing this, does one know what my cancellation fee should be? "Should? be?

2) Can I downgrade to the lowest package without any additional fee associated with the downgrade? I do not need the dvr accessory and do not know if having that, mandated a dvr package?

3) Can I suspend my account indefinately?

4) can I cancel the standard receiver in my bedroom without ETA?

Any other ideas?

I came here, to the voice of experience, for advice.

Thanks

Due to a recent injury, my finances will be cut due to Short Term Disability - and knowing the economy, that puts my job in jeopardy.

Knowing this, I need to cut costs.

Couple of questions for the experts:
1) I started DTV in 11/08 - I have a DVR in one room and a standard receiver in another. I have the HD Choice Xtra package. Knowing this, does one know what my cancellation fee should be? "Should? be?

2) Can I downgrade to the lowest package without any additional fee associated with the downgrade? I do not need the dvr accessory and do not know if having that, mandated a dvr package?

Any other ideas?

I came here, to the voice of experience, for advice.

Thanks

1: Call and they'll give you an exact amount, from memory - I think it's $20/mo, so you'd be looking at around $300.

2: You can downgrade to Family for $29.99/mo. You may be able to drop DVR, although they "have the right" to replace your receivers with standard ones, they'll most likely just turn off the ability to record and allow you to keep the receivers. Should be no fee to downgrade.

3: You can suspend for 6 months if I remember right, but the contract clock stops ticking, so you'll still have the same obligation.

4: You can drop the extra receiver to save the $5/mo, they'll just make you send the receiver back (prepaid box will be sent to you). If you later decide you want it back, then you'd have the pay the $69 upfront cost for the box.

Good luck with your situation.

You can suspend up to twice in the same calendar year for up to six months at a time.
The commitment is for a minimum level of programming, not hardware. You must maintain at least one receiver so that you can maintain a minimum level of programming.

1: Call and they'll give you an exact amount, from memory - I think it's $20/mo, so you'd be looking at around $300.

2: You can downgrade to Family for $29.99/mo. You may be able to drop DVR, although they "have the right" to replace your receivers with standard ones, they'll most likely just turn off the ability to record and allow you to keep the receivers. Should be no fee to downgrade.

3: You can suspend for 6 months if I remember right, but the contract clock stops ticking, so you'll still have the same obligation.

4: You can drop the extra receiver to save the $5/mo, they'll just make you send the receiver back (prepaid box will be sent to you). If you later decide you want it back, then you'd have the pay the $69 upfront cost for the box.

Good luck with your situation.

Thanks so much....

1. Suspension of account can not be done unless account is at 0.00 balance. otherwise everything is correct.

2. If he drops his dvr service the billing system might send a box for the dvr to return to directv

3. Since a dvr is considered an Advance box the contract would be 2 years @ 480 dollars. Each month you have service it takes 20 dollars off your approx payoff would be 320 bucks not including your final bill charges etc.

Everything else seems to be good info that any billing agent with dtv would give you on the phone.

mjmsr53,

After seeing the previous post, there nothing addl. I can add to it, but instead of getting out of your contract with payment, IF you want to keep D* and can afford it, consider going down to the cheapest package "Family Pack" $29.99 and drop the addl. rec's .

Also let them know your situation, they may jump in and hepl with some sort of credits as well. If you drop to the Family Pack, your commitment keeps running and you still have some TV, VS suspending and not having ANY TV.
Also, if you suspend your service, there is still a small monthly fee.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)