Belden 7916A RG6 Cable

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I'd like to hear opinions on this cable. It meets all the requirements for a Dish Pro installation but want to hear if someone here has used it. This new cable will be used from the dish to a DP34 switch (about 105 ft).

Belden 7916A
18 AWG Solid Bare Copper
Swept Test 2.25 MHz
Quad Shielded

I found it for $0.10 per ft. I think that's a good deal but want to hear opinions.

I would like to replace the cable that the original installer used. He used some "Laser" RG6 cable swept tested to 2200 MHz but the braid on the cable looks like only 40% to me. Plus it looks like DirecTV cabling, I hate the way it looks.

I'm also having problems where randomly one of the 4 receivers loses the satellite signal. I've replaced all the connectors, swapped DP34 switches and the only thing left is the cable. Hard or soft reset solves the problem. It isn't an alignment problem, getting pretty good signal.

110, tp. 11 = 100, tp 12 = 108
119, tp. 11 = 104, tp 12 = 110

Thanks.

I doubt grounding is the issue.. sounds like a broken center conductor in the wire or a funky receiver... could also be a bad LNBF port.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it's properly grounded. I swapped a DP Twin with a DP Quad also, so I don't think it's the LNBF. I narrowed it down to the cable, either a broken center conductor like "bcshields" says or just bad quality cable.

Like I said is some "Laser" brand, at least that's what I can read on the cable. It's a long run to the switch, about 105 ft. and the cable is probably just cheap cable.

Yes I also doubt grounding, grounding has nothing to do with the Sig. you have. :)

"Laser" is the house brand for RS&I distributors. It's good stuff, used in thousands of installs a year - including all the ones my shop does.

That being said, ANY cable can get crimp or connector damage.

Finally, I've never seen the point (in normal residential installs) in using quad shield.

That's good to know that "Laser" is good cable, I just hadn't heard of it. The braid kind of looks weak but the center conductor is pretty strong. I am just familiar with the names that I read in these forums, Belden, Commscope, Coleman, Carol, etc.

I won't be replacing the cable for now, I'm having a technician coming over on Sunday to look at the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts