Belden 9116 Coax CATV Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ed610

Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I had a VIP612 installed 2 days ago. Occasionally the picture breaks up and sound has skips.

I found that the coax from the dish to the receiver is Belden 9116 Coax - CATV Cable series 6. The information I’ve found indicate the this coax has Sweep Testing5 MHz - 1 Ghz.

The Receiver’s user guide said to use RG-6 coax rated up to at least 2150 MHz.

Could the Belden 9116 coax be causing my problem?

Maybe

I had a VIP612 installed 2 days ago. Occasionally the picture breaks up and sound has skips.

I found that the coax from the dish to the receiver is Belden 9116 Coax - CATV Cable series 6. The information I’ve found indicate the this coax has Sweep Testing5 MHz - 1 Ghz.

The Receiver’s user guide said to use RG-6 coax rated up to at least 2150 MHz.

Could the Belden 9116 coax be causing my problem?

It might be a problem since it is primarily meant for CATV but what kinda of signal strength are you getting. The loss if the hi freq is the problems will only be for the higher channels. Is it all channels or one specific satellite. If the later it is more likely pointing of the dish. Need more info that what you have given us. 9116 is an RG-6 cable though.

The cable does not "officially" meet the specs - it should be rated to 3GHz. But it might be ok, just not tested/cert to that. But since it's for CATV, I suspect it is in fact the cable. You should also check your connections.

The Belden 9116 is a RG-6 type coaxial cable. Belden lists many more part numbers for RG-6 type cable. Belden lists the signal loss at 6.54dB per 100 feet of 9116 cable at 1000 MHz. The signal loss will be greater at higher frequencies. The 9116 is specified for CATV applications. You did not describe your installation, so if you haven't done so already, check your cable connections. You could always shop around for another type of RG-6 at local stores or internet shopping. My local Home Depot actually carried a very good, low loss RG-6, quad shield, all coper braid.

To be sure lay in a temporary cable from dish to receiver and measure signal on several transponders of your weakest satellite with each cable. If it is more than a couple of points or it goes into the red on say 129, then consider actual replacement and inspect the couplings. Otherwise just rest easy. If it seems too low with the direct cable then the dish needs a fine tuning anyway. If not red but just a little low, replace it when easy to do.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)