Bell's HD future??

DrAkO_1982

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm a customer for Bell Express Vu and i'm a little bit anxious about add new stuff...

Bell has promised to add 3 new HD frenchs channels (TVA HD, TQS HD and RDS HD), but, all the TP are full, where Bell could put these new HD channel ?

Bell need's to add Showcase HD, National Geographic HD, MMore HD, The Score HD to keep and attract customers and to stay competitive against Rogers, SC and Videotron (in Quebec).

What's the strategy for Bell about adding new HD channels ?

They will change soon but they don't planned to use MPEG 4 before 2009.

Only compatible MPEG 4 receivers would be available fall this year.

they'll probably start changing...just like SC is doing soon.

So to get all the HD channels you'll have to upgrade :)

I buy a 9200 2 months ago...

Thanks for the great news...:)

What's Bell have to do on satellite to change to MPEG 4 ???

I just can't see how Bell could switch to MPEG 4 as fast as you think !!

why not?

All they have to do is change the transponder from QPSK MPEG2 to 8PSK MPEG4...that takes what 10 minutes to do? Dish does it rather quickly :)

The issue right now is they are not using all the TP's on 82...9, 15, 19 are not used and 23 & 30 have one channel...very easily to move them to other transponders and change those 2 TP's to MPEG 4...voila 8 channel capacity (MPEG2 is 2-3 max) :)

Yeah but i read on the Internet on satellite 82, 3 TP are not allowed to Bell...

So they just need to wait for MPEG 4 receivers and switch all HD TP to MPEG 4...and lose all HD customers...:D

Yeah but i read on the Internet on satellite 82, 3 TP are not allowed to Bell...

So they just need to wait for MPEG 4 receivers and switch all HD TP to MPEG 4...and lose all HD customers...:D

They aren't going to just flip a switch and shut off all the customers. Just like Dish, they will slowly ease into the migration.

The first thing they should do is flip the HD to 8PSK, that will open up room for them.

Yep... I'm surprised they haven't done the switch already. Last year they did some 8PSK testing on one TP but that's all that happened.

How long ago did Dish make their HD migration to 8PSK?

I'm wondering if there is signal issues in some parts of Canada that prevent them from switching to 8PSK.

Even if they only flipped 10 TP's to 8PSK, they would gain around 100 mbps of bandwidth. You can fit a good bit of MPEG2 HD in that space.

So a migration to 8PSK not cost a lot of money to Bell.

Maybe they could offer a rebate on MPEG 4 receivers to existing HD customers.;)