Question about Bell receiver upgrade to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ed Goldstein

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
New York, NY
I recently received an offer from Bell to upgrade my satellite TV receivers to HD. "We are happy to replace the standard definition (SD) receivers on your account with high definition (HD) receivers, at no additional cost."

I'm in the States and can only receive 91, not 82. Would that make any difference if I decide to do this? And if I don't, will my old SD receivers continue to work?

Reactions: c-spand
This will be an issue sooner than later. If they follow the DISH example, some of the SD programming will become HD receiver exclusive programming.

An HD receiver will work with an SDTV but an SD receiver won't be able to receive HD-only channels. There are some additional issues with new modulation schemes that aren't available in SD receivers as well. Since the upgrade is free (except for how you physically obtain the receiver), you might as well. I suspect your Bell days will be more severely numbered if you don't upgrade.

Apologies for moving in slow motion on this.

If I buy an HD receiver from a third party (I was considering the 9241), will it be a relatively simple procedure to add it to my account? And do I have to worry about not having a view of 82 with an HD receiver? Thanks for any advice.

Just a little faster than glaciers move.
If I buy an HD receiver from a third party (I was considering the 9241), will it be a relatively simple procedure to add it to my account?
That's a question that only Bell can answer.
And do I have to worry about not having a view of 82 with an HD receiver?
There's always a chance that something you want will be there or move there. This is something that you should address.

If I buy an HD receiver from a third party (I was considering the 9241), will it be a relatively simple procedure to add it to my account? And do I have to worry about not having a view of 82 with an HD receiver? Thanks for any advice.
You said you’re in the states? Why not just go with dish in the first place? Bell and dish are the EXACT SAME even the receivers.

yeah i know, i was just saying the vip series would be similar if not the exact same
While the hardware is pretty close, the software isn't particularly similar and as I pointed out, not at all interoperable. The Bell "Slim" remote is nothing like the DISH 54 remote.

I know this is an older thread, BUT Bell is now sending out 6500 receivers to replace the SD receivers as they will be shutting down all the SD channels sometime around April or so. I suspect they will shut down due to sell the space on the older SD bird.

They're not shutting down all the SD channels.

They're transitioning to using more powerful video compression and channel multiplexing schemes that aren't supported by the older receivers. Any SD "duplicates" will eventually fall by the wayside as well but there will still be SD channels where no HD version exists.

None of this can happen until they've replaced the old receivers.