Benchmarking the OnePlus One Against Other Phones

T134

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 27, 2011
Minnesota
I had signed up for an “invite” back in April or May to be able to buy a OnePlus One and was finally able to get the 64Gb in November. This was at the request of friends at AMIKO in Europe that wanted it. After it arrived for some crazy reason I decided I wanted it and stole it from them. :)

After 5 minutes of playing I did not regret keeping a $350 phone. It is everything they said plus more. Totally kick butt (especially Cyanogenmod 11S) and fairly rare unlike cookie cutter Samsungs and HTC’s. Performance is awesome and the full HD screen, awesome. Other than being really big (duh) there really isn’t a downside. The early SW bugs are ironed out, so waiting 6+ months was not a bad thing.

I know there are critics claiming the OnePlus just has some polished numbers but is a “cut corners” device so that it looks good on paper but not real world. Yesterday I decided to check this out against the other phones using AnTuTu Benchmark. The results surprised even me.

First let’s look at pricing of the top flagship phones:
Meizu MX4: $469/$509 (16Gb/32Gb) (direct from factory)
Samsung Galaxy Note4: $749.76 (32Gb) (T-mobile USA)
HTC One M8: $585.60 (32Gb) (T-mobile USA)
Samsung Galaxy S5: $509.52 (reduced $100) (16Gb)(T-mobile USA)
One Plus One: $299/$349 (16Gb/64Gb) (direct from factory)

Performance wise, only the Note4 and Meizu beat the OnePlus One and only by narrow margins. The Meizu is pretty much a non-factor for USA since it does not support 4G LTE in our markets. This leaves the $750 Note4 as the only thing that can beat the OPO at over twice the price.

Screenshot_2014-12-26-14-57-25_zps1182ce31.png~original

The real shocker for me isn’t that OPO hangs in there with the Note4, it is how it beat up on the HTC M8 and Galaxy S5 by significant margins. I expected both of those models to do as well or a bit better than OPO but that is not the case. Nexus5 came in so low that it doesn’t even show up on the list without scrolling to the next screen!

The only thing I can’t figure out is why my OPO (A001 in the screenshots) comes in higher than AnTuTu’s data for OPO. Other than being rooted with an unlocked bootloader mine runs the stock Cyanogenmod 11S/4.4.4 and it has about 10Gb of Apps+data on it with a bunch of Apps and Activities running that a brand new OPO wouldn’t have. This should slow it down if anything.

Anyway here are the screenshots with the numbers to see for yourself.
note4_zpsc7a1baa6.png~original
HTCOneM8_zpse52019f9.png~original
GalaxyS5_zps6032431d.png~original
Nexus5_zps6fd0a215.png~original

One of the advantages that OnePlus and Oppo have is that neither of these have to have margin for the wireless carrier in the price. This helps keep the to consumer cost lower. There's also limited cost in marketing so that helps reduce the price.

One thing that worries me is that the relationship with CyanogenMod seems to be a bit strained lately... IIRC, there's a bit of a falling out over Xiaomi using CM11 for their phones in India (exclusively).

Its a good phone and a good price, and there's no question about the value proposition.

Just got my one plus one in the mail today (thanks for the invite), and I've only had it a couple of hours. It is very smooth, and I think it will stack up against anything.

That said, if benchmarks are the measurement, and I'm not sure how important they really are these days, the droid turbo is hard to beat, and tops the one.

Of course I have them both side by side. Both very snappy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420501954630.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1420501954630.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 245
I wish the one + one worked on Verizon.
Yeah that would be nice. One of the best available for prepaid, which how this is being used for me (straight talk). Especially at the price point, wow on that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts