Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
It's official now. Per the current issue of Home Media Magazine, Best Buy ordered it's stores to stop selling the old analog TVs at the beginning of this month. I gather this means CRTs, even though some CRTs have digital tuners. They are supposed to have been pulled from the shelves by now. They are the first to "officially" announce this program- but has anyone seen many CRTs for sale anywhere, lately?

That is what will truely get us on the path to a totally digital spectrum. Ive said for years that the analog transition was doomed if we didnt stop selling analog sets. My god its common sense.

I doubt this would mean all CRTs. It would just mean TVs with analog tuners. I would think that they would still sell some CRT sets with digital tuners, although with the price of LCDs dropping they are few and far between anyway.

I haven't seen a CRT at the local BB in months. And I look. Same for BJs and Costco. Saw a very few at a Sam's. WallyWorld had only one- looked old and dusty- analog only.

Years ago, I drew a graph with projected price decreases for flat panels, esp LCDs, and future CRTs (some projected a slight increase in CRT prices, but I went with continuing decreases). In 2008, the prices would be so close as that I thought few would buy CRTs. Less than 30% difference for the same size screens, IIRC. Looks like people stopped buying CRTs before the prices got that close. Just saw the writing on the wall, I guess.

If the market's not there, they won't continue to sell them. People aren't buying CRT's, so Best Buy probably isn't making much by selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts