BEST Buy sucks!!! HD DVD!!

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
:D They're having a 36 month same as cash payment plan for product 499 and up (ie., HD DVD or Blu ray!!!!) and now I'm "forced" to get one!!!;)

The sucky part is whatever you buy will probably be obsolete before it's paid for with that kind of financing.

Fgsilva said:
:D They're having a 36 month same as cash payment plan for product 499 and up (ie., HD DVD or Blu ray!!!!) and now I'm "forced" to get one!!!;)
That should be SOP considering their prices on large TV's are usually 500 dollars more than Onecall or TVauthority. Good deal on something that doesnt have deep discounts online though.

I used OneCall and applied for their credit card, so I got it for $40.00 less, 3 day free Fedex (came in 2 DAYS - Spokane to Long Island, NY) and I get 12 months to pay and NO tax.

Well, I'm still debating if I should get it or not. $500 for a DVD player is A LOT. Also, I"m not completely sure if it will work on my TV. It has DVI and Component inputs only. currently I have a 622 connected using HDMI to DVI cable. Will that also work for the HD-DVD?

thanks!

500.00 for a DVD player is only alot if you are not used to buying referance quality audio/video toys. If you are then its cheap...

You are getting and HD-DVD player and one of the best upcoverting DVD players on the markert.

Well worth 5 bills

Fgsilva said:
Well, I'm still debating if I should get it or not. $500 for a DVD player is A LOT. Also, I"m not completely sure if it will work on my TV. It has DVI and Component inputs only. currently I have a 622 connected using HDMI to DVI cable. Will that also work for the HD-DVD?

thanks!
Go for it, then get netflix if you haven't already. And please, don't rent any new HD DVD releases in the first two weeks. They're for me!!:D

Last edited:
you're probably right. And on this day and age of HD-lite, this may be the only source of true HD that is left.

Paradox-SJ said:
500.00 for a DVD player is only alot if you are not used to buying referance quality audio/video toys. If you are then its cheap...

You are getting and HD-DVD player and one of the best upcoverting DVD players on the markert.

Well worth 5 bills

HA!, So you're the reason why I always get "long wait" on my netflix!!! :D

teamerickson said:
Go for it, then get netflix if you haven't already. And please, don't rent any new HD DVD releases in the first two weeks. There for me!!:D

Never mind. i checked and it seems that it only plays DVD-R. I have a lot of movies saved in my hard drive but my burner is a DVD+R! :(

Fgsilva said:
Never mind. i checked and it seems that it only plays DVD-R. I have a lot of movies saved in my hard drive but my burner is a DVD+R! :(
In not sure the statement "it only plays DVD-R" is correct. It does not support DVD+R, but I believe people have stated they have played DVD+R in the Toshiba unit. Can someone please confirm?

From Best buy website:

HD-DVD
Plays HD DVD, HD DVD-R, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/-RW, MP3 and WMA formats

From toshiba's website:
Disc Playback: HD-DVD/HD DVD-R/DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/

no mention of DVD+R or DVR+RW! :(

teamerickson said:
In not sure the statement "it only plays DVD-R" is correct. It does not support DVD+R, but I believe people have stated they have played DVD+R in the Toshiba unit. Can someone please confirm?

teamerickson said:

I think someone at AVS reported it works but Id have to look for the post again.

Toshiba does not guarantee compatibility with all DVD+R discs, but most seem to work just fine.

I added the post for the RCA on that website. No VCD or JPG discs will work, but other than that everything else should. I have tested DVD+RW, DVD-R, CD-R & CD-RWs. All work fine.

-John

Intesting it worked for you. I got one at BB yesterday and It wouldn't play a DVD+RW at all (kept saying NO DISC!) and it didn't play well a DVD+R. it kept showing pixelation!
so I guss it's a trip back to BB. I wasn't very satisfied with it to be honest. the unit looks like the first generation VCRs and can that remote be any longer????

I think I best wait for the next generation players which hopefully will be smaller, cheaper and with fewer bugs!

jgantert said:
I added the post for the RCA on that website. No VCD or JPG discs will work, but other than that everything else should. I have tested DVD+RW, DVD-R, CD-R & CD-RWs. All work fine.

-John

Fgsilva said:

The Toshiba HD DVD player doesn't officially support DVD+R, but many folks on the AVSforum report both +R single & dual layer plays fine. My DVD burner supports both -R and +R. I've always burned -R single layer, and they play fine on my XA1. I recently bought some Verbatim +R Dual Layer on sale and burned some, and they play fine on my XA1. The 'secret' is when authoring +R DVD, select the DVD-ROM format - DVD Video, NOT DVD data.

Hmm, I must still be doing something wrong. I use power2go software for burning. even though I use "data" for transfering my dvdshrink files to it, it ask me if I want to make it a dvd video file and later on I can add the option of dvd-rom also! the dvd+rw still wont' play, but only the DVD+R

Update: Why am I wasting my time playing with this??? My DVD burner supports DVD-RW also!

CochiseGuy said:
The Toshiba HD DVD player doesn't officially support DVD+R, but many folks on the AVSforum report both +R single & dual layer plays fine. My DVD burner supports both -R and +R. I've always burned -R single layer, and they play fine on my XA1. I recently bought some Verbatim +R Dual Layer on sale and burned some, and they play fine on my XA1. The 'secret' is when authoring +R DVD, select the DVD-ROM format - DVD Video, NOT DVD data.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts