Best configuration to switch to hopper from 3 receivers?

Monkeysmom2

Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
Drought ridden ca
Hi,
Seriously such a newbie here, but I've been reading the threads here and researching as much as possible before talking to dish. I'd like your expert opinions if I could!

Longtime Dish customer, currently I have 3 TV's with 2 VIP 922 sling receivers and 1 VIP 722 receiver, all leased. My goal was to have all three TVs have their own ability to watch a show and record another show at the same time. We are true TV lovers :)

We're planning to move in the next month, and in our new house, we'll have more TVs.
2 TVs in our master bedroom (1 in sitting area, 1 by the bed) both 4K
1 TV in our family room 4K
1 TV in our bonus room
1 TV in our guest bedroom

(We'll also have a smaller tv in another guest room but that's currently connected to Comcast --we have broadband with them and get free basic cable, but if that can be included to access dish it would be a plus but definitely not a requirement)

Our goal is to have the capability to watch a show live on one TV while recording at the same time another show, from each tv.

Questions:
1. I think we need 2 hoppers, but my dilemma is, how many joeys-- or a superjoey, but I don't think we can have a superjoey with this setup?

2. Also, should we even think about the wireless joeys? The house is about 5000 sq foot and I'm not sure about connectivity.

3. We want to save our current recordings from the 922 receiver and be able to access them from the hopper. It looks like the western digital external hard drive is the way to go, but I'm a bit confused, do I need to call dish to activate it or is there only an activation fee to use it as a dvr? Do I need more than 1 external hard drive per receiver? I don't have anything I want on the 722 but I may have stuff on the other 922 that we'll want...

4. Since we have sling now, we should probably get HWS but 2?

5. Is this going to break my bank with the fees? I'm not under a 2 yr contract anymore.

6. Does anyone know when the 4K setup is coming out?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Yes you should get 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. But that is only 6 tuners.

Which would not suit me for a 5 Room setup , But it might you since it doesn't sound like it's possible to watch and recorded tv in all your locations at the same time anyway from what you described.

It doesn't sound like you have enough people, just rooms lol.

It's going to cost $12 DVR fee, $12 Addtional Hopper, and $21 for 3 Joeys.

Yes you should get 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. But that is only 6 tuners.

Which would not suit me for a 5 Room setup , But it might you since it doesn't sound like it's possible to watch and recorded tv in all your locations at the same time anyway from what you described.

It doesn't sound like you have enough people, just rooms lol.

It's going to cost $12 DVR fee, $12 Addtional Hopper, and $21 for 3 Joeys.

Hey Troch 77
Thanx for the reply. You mentioned that this set up would not suit you. Is there a different set up I should be considering instead?

If I needed a 5 Room setup, I would want 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Just because currently I a 4 room hopper setup and we find ourselves using all 6 tuners very often.

But we are also a family of 4.
If I added a Family member to my Hopper system, I couldn't see it working out without recording conflicts.
That's why I have a 211z for my mother that lives in our Front apartment.

But now the downfall of the 3 Hopper setup, is you Must BUY the 3rd hopper, and there is extensive wiring and switches that are required to make this system work.

Dish will hook all of that up, But it's not very nice!.
There are a few Satellite Guys here that have nice 3 hopper setups, But I saw a Friend of mines 3 Hopper 3 joey system, and it was a Mess.
Trouble shooting would be a nightmare.

Dish just needs a Hopper with 4 or 6 tuners, that can still have a 3 tuners model active on the same account, while still using a Duo Node.

I hate to say it, But Dish is always a step below when it comes to tuners.
The 622-722 is a good example, why bother having it serve 2 tvs if one is SD.
These should have been 3 tuner receivers, and I think that's what Dish was trying to accomplish with the Hopper.
Only problem. Is TIVO and Directv already had 4,5,6 tuners receivers out, and Dish answer was the super joey, and Answer but not much of one.

Directv Swim 16 can support a 16 tuner whole home setup from 1 switch. Sure, you can only have 1 Genie, but you can add, 2 Tuners Dvrs as many as your Swm allows, Not the case with the Hopper systems, No 2 Tuner Dvrs aloud.

And Tivo, I had 2Roamio pluses and 2 Minis 12 tuners .
Best working clean system ever.
Too bad Cable Provider sucks.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for everyone's inputs!!!
Hmmm, sounds like 3 hoppers is going to be the way to do this...
I guess I'm worried about the set up. Can our AV guy help with the install of the 3rd hopper?
Is the 211z HD?

How about using the wireless joeys with the square footage we are working with?

Or, maybe we can do 2 hoppers and a 211, and 2 joeys if I'm worried about the install. The issue is when we have guests (who come and stay for a long while, using the guest bedroom and the bonus room most likely).

211z is Just a stand alone HD box, But for $40 and the cost of a Powered USB Hard drive, It can be activated to record programming.

It works fantastic actually.
But it's limited to only a single tuner.

I would go with the 2 Hopper 2 Joey with the 211k or Z for the Guest room.
But that's just me.

You would have to buy the 211, it will cost you around $90.

The Joey for the 5th room would be include for a New customer.

Your best bet is see what you can get.

Because I don't see DISH giving you 2 hoppers with sling and 3 Joeys for free as an existing customer.
I see dish maybe giving you a Hopper with Sling, and 2 Joeys for free to upgrade your current system only.

Thanx troch77!

I think we'll do the 2 hopper, 2 Joey set up and then buy the 211 for the guest bedroom.
I really appreciate your input on this-- its so hard to figure out the configuration when you haven't had it before...we're so happy with our current set up but now we're moving and adding more, which is good and bad

Thanx troch77!

I think we'll do the 2 hopper, 2 Joey set up and then buy the 211 for the guest bedroom.
I really appreciate your input on this-- its so hard to figure out the configuration when you haven't had it before...we're so happy with our current set up but now we're moving and adding more, which is good and bad
If you go with Hopper system as described, you will wonder why you were ever happy with your current disjointed setup, really!

Last edited:
Reactions: Troch77
Absolutely, but you'll need an extra switch. Dish installer will take care of everything. You will need to purchase the 211 on your own for use with the Hopper system.

Reactions: Troch77
Also, does anyone know when the 4K Joey is coming out? Can you upgrade to it when it does?
No, and certainly not without an 2 yr commitment. I would wait for 4K supply to catch up with demand. IOW, don't be in a hurry!

Absolutely, but you'll need an extra switch. Dish installer will take care of everything. You will need to purchase the 211 on your own for use with the Hopper system.
Yes Just make sure you have the 211 before the tech arrives.
He will install a DPP44, It requires a Power Inserter, which he will most likely connect with the VIP 211.
Also make sure you let dish Know you want him to connect the 211, just to make sure he has the proper supplies.

And remember, call and verify everything, because you are not a New customer.
They may charge certain fees, they may not for this upgrade.

When mine was installed, Dish only did the Hopper install.
But they would have done the VIP as well, If I would have had it in time.
So I had to do the DPP44 and 211 myself.

Not to difficult, but there are certain steps and wiring moves that have to be a certain way, or the Hoppers get screwy.

But if you decide to do it yourself, we'll be glad to help.

uploadfromtaptalk1446343676045.png

Honestly, there shouldn't be any problem for a long term customer paying bills on time every month. I left 2 years ago, and we were long into not charging for 2 hoppers for well standing accounts. Best bet, PM dirt and see what the price points are for your upgrade. If you want the 211 in a seperate room, make sure it is ready before the tech comes to install. Leave it in the box, and follow the tech like a hawk to both make sure you understand what's going on, but also to make sure there is no misunderstanding on the installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)