Best deal for new D* customer? Costco?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

azccwm

Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I am planning on kicking Comcast to the curb and getting Dish or DirecTV. I was about to pull the trigger on Dish until I learned that they do not carry Tucson HD, yet. But it does look like Dish has better receivers/DVRs.

Where's the best place to sign up for DirecTV? Does Costco have any deals, or maybe a sponsor of this site?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check Plasma Concepts, a site sponsor here, to see what deal they can work for you. Others have said calling DirecTV directly also works and if you're a AAA member they also have specials. If you know someone that already has D* you can get them to give you a referral with get's both of you a $50 credit.

As for the HD DVR comment, I think a better way to discribe it is it's different then E* boxes, it has a different set of features which some prefer then the E* boxes. Examples, Media share which allows you to view JPEG's and videos or listen to MP3's from a network attached PC. There's also the remote scheduling feature via the D* web site and the beta testing of the DirecTV2PC feature which allows you to watch recorded content via your PC. I've also seen folks say the on demand content is much better then E*'s offering.

Remote scheduling would be a bonus. I would have to add a wireless access point near the unit, but that's only about $30.

Remote scheduling does not require that the HD DVR have a network connection, the info for setting up the recording is sent via the satellite stream to the receiver. You do need a network connection for video on demand, Media Share and the DirecTV2PC application. The HD DVR also has built in support for the Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter, no need to connect it to a PC to configure it.

I would try Plasma Concepts, Directv directly, use AAA if you are a member, or go to Costco. Either way make sure you get "referred" from a friend, you both save $50 over and above the best offer you can find. Great move kicking Comcast to the curb!

I may be able to hold out with Comcast a few more months... just called them and mentioned that I might be leaving them for E* or D* and they dropped my internet down to $33 a month for 6 mos., reduced my DVR fee to $5 a month for 12 months, and I reduced my channel line up slightly which saved another $15 or so a month.

I may wait until after the holidays to do anything. I'm leaning toward D* because of programming... but I do like the multi-room capability of some of E* DVR receivers.

I may be able to hold out with Comcast a few more months... just called them and mentioned that I might be leaving them for E* or D* and they dropped my internet down to $33 a month for 6 mos., reduced my DVR fee to $5 a month for 12 months, and I reduced my channel line up slightly which saved another $15 or so a month.

I may wait until after the holidays to do anything. I'm leaning toward D* because of programming... but I do like the multi-room capability of some of E* DVR receivers.

If I recall, there is only ONE Dish Rec that does the multi room thing, where as most of the new D* rec's will be doing it soon.
As long as they have a ethernet connection they will probably be added into the MRV group.

Why are you leaving Comcast ?
Money, fine, they just gave you a discount on your programming.
If your leaving for any other reason, PQ lack of features we've mentioned above, WHY WAIT, they gave you a discount, but it still didn't give you any of the features that your looking for or better PQ :)

Jimbo

My experience is the best deal is directly through Directv. Calling on the phone, they can negotiate what you get, and will do some better hardware deals (usually).

You can still use a referral, and the AAA offer if you're a AAA member.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts