Best Dish out there?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatAdam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I've been reading a lot, trying to debate replacing my flimsy 30" dish I got off e-bay...
My Andrew .90 didn't show up, is backordered 4-6 weeks, and even then might not even come in.

I have decided on a 100cm dish to put on my motor (the motor is an SG 2100, says 1.2m, so 1m should give it a little leeway)

I need something with a good LNB arm too, that invacom quad is a very heavy LNB, and the dish I have now's arm wobbles in the wind.

Any suggestions?? I'd like to stay under $100, but if a really good quality dish is a little more, I'll go for it.

I've checked out the Fortec Star, I like it, looks nice! but I was just wondering what else is out there.

I would concider the Winegard 30" dish, PERFECT for the SG2100 and works better than many slightly larger dish I have used!!

I am very happy with my Patriot 85-E Elliptical offset antenna. I am using the sg2100 motor with it. There is some comparisons in the review section that was posted today. It will be less expensive to ship than 90cm and up dishes.

SatAdam said:
Any suggestions?? I'd like to stay under $100, but if a really good quality dish is a little more, I'll go for it.

winegard 1 meter one of the best if not the best dishes out there

i even got c band channels no other dish did of the same size.

the ku lnb arm is great .

Haven't really compared it to other ku dishes but am perfectly satisfied with the performance of my channel master 1M (came with a data subscription I had in the early 90's and got to keep it after a year). One major factor is that the elevation control is a screw drive that can be fine tuned very easily and not nearly as cheezy as trying to tighten a nut and bolt arrangement. Currently it is driven using the SG2100 with no issues. At this point I haven't seen any drop outs from weak transponders or rain fade which is often an issue here in Western Washington.

SD

Last edited:
If you are going to motorize, the Patriot 85-E or the Paraclipse 90
have U-bolt mounting bracket that more or less matches the 2-inch OD pipe size recommended. While a Primestar 84-E might work, you will have problems dealing with its 2-3/8 inch mast size.

Read the new posting on FTA Hardware Reviews....I submitted it last evening,
and there are links to our website if you would like more technical information
on any of these antennas.

not to discredit mike

but aren't tests of different size antennas they are going to give you

different results anyway?

a 76cm is not the same as a 90cm.

I'm going to read some more... but I'm thinking the import cheapo dish I have now is what's causing my poor signal on G10R. It deforms easy. I think I want a nice plastic dish (the Andrew I want is this type) but I worry about it's bracket and the SG 2100.

spindoctor said:
... aren't tests of different size antennas they are going to give you different results anyway? a 76cm is not the same as a 90cm.

True but what the test shows is the difference is between different size dishes. If you have a 75e and are thinking of getting a 90cm it shows about how much you gain by the switch.

hwh said:
True but what the test shows is the difference is between different size dishes. If you have a 75e and are thinking of getting a 90cm it shows about how much you gain by the switch.

actually a better way to look at the test is by picking the TPS you normally watch

and to see what antenna does the best.

as you probably saw certain TPS are higher, even on those that scored the lowest.

of course you have to consider that not all satellites behave the same as far

as location and EIRP coverage, not to mention the equipment used by the general public which they are going to be different, unless of course everyone buys the same lnb and does the same expert installation like mike.

but then again it takes all the fun out from this hobby from testing different antennas and share the findings with others.

thats my opinion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)