Best DVR?

There is no doubt that the 721 is the way to go for me! Do you think if I got the 522, and if it had issues all the time could I get it replaced with a 721? I read about people with 522's that have issues and they get replacment 522's.

I'm not having any issues with screen format bug. I have the Mits. WS 55511 tv and it don't have DVI or HDMI. That could be the why I'm not having in trouble with format.

Also Titan, I have both 721 and 921 hook to same tv and both are recorded full all the time. I may add the 942 to give me more harddrive space and to have something new to play with. I wouldn't say I haven't had problems with both receivers, but I keep on top of things by reading these forums and learning how to operate them.

The 522 has been very solid for me since the 2.30-2.33 series of software updates. I used to have to worry about it and babysit it, but the last few months, it "just works". We record 12+ hours of content a day.. it handles schedule conflicts based on it's priorities, etc. It used to be a dog, but now, I'd highly recommend it.

I've been considering the 942, but can't quite get past the idea of paying $700 which means I'm locke into E* forever. I was thinking that a leased 811 with a Tivo might be a better choice. The Tivo allows wireless networking and is compatible with anything I might try in the future. Any suggestions?

12 hours recorded = 8-9 hours watched after skipping commercials/boring parts/etc. plus you delete the repeats.

GregH said:
I've been considering the 942, but can't quite get past the idea of paying $700 which means I'm locke into E* forever. I was thinking that a leased 811 with a Tivo might be a better choice. The Tivo allows wireless networking and is compatible with anything I might try in the future. Any suggestions?

If you are considering the 811, I hope you are planning on getting the movie packages for HBO and Showtime. Don't depend on their "HD package" to get all of your HD programming.

Yea the Tivo is so much better. That thing is a bigger peace of crap than ever. The thing will go black & white if you just attempt to change the channels a few times. It will even do it sometimes when you are just watching tv. The guide is slower than molases with either grid. The thing has a pathetic 30 minute buffer which is not enough. It will even pause for a second most of the time when changing tuners or channels. The remote stinks. It is very unconfortable and the layout of the buttons are a mess. I can think of many other things but those where the things I hated about the Tivo.

I am now back with Dish. We all have 510's and they are so much better than anything DirecTV has to offer.

Hmmm...,my parent's, sister's, and in-law's Directivos are all working perfect. Ya the guide is somewhat slow but at least the machine isn't crashing and you can watch video without pixelating and the audio isn't dropping out constantly. You also don't have to babysit the Tivo to make sure it doesn't drop timers either. Of course the 510 doesn't do any of this but my 522 has.

The thing I don't like about the 510 is the fact that it doesn't do much more than a vcr, with the exception of pausing live tv. That will change if they ever decide to implement NBR on them but that's never going to happen.

I definitely agree with you on the Directivo remote though. Whoever designed that thing was on pot. Putting the button you use constantly on the very top of the remote is the dumbest thing ever. Dish's remotes are an excellent design. I can't think of one thing I'd change on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)