Best DVR?

Titan_Wireless

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
All,

I have spent the last 3 days reading all I can on Dish DVR's! I still can not make a decision on which one is best. They all have issues. I'm hopping ya'll can give my your input. I want the most stable DVR that will allow me to record one channel while I watch another. I really want the 942 or 522 but reading all the feedback I'm not so sure that is the way to go? I currently have errr huurrr barf Cable, and the DVR works great :( . I hate TW cable! When I switch to Dish I need to have a good DVR or the wife will kill me!

So with that I ask your help in deciding which DVR is the best before I order the service. I have even considered waiting for V* to see how there DVR turns out.

Thanks,
Tasos

If those are your requirements (the need for 2 tuners) then your only other option is a 721. From what I've heard it's pretty decent receiver.

mre said:
If those are your requirements (the need for 2 tuners) then your only other option is a 721. From what I've heard it's pretty decent receiver.

Thanks. I reading 721 threads now.

721 is probably what I would go with as there is no monthly fee for them like there is the new DVR's and it seems to be pretty stable.

hometheaterman said:
721 is probably what I would go with as there is no monthly fee for them like there is the new DVR's and it seems to be pretty stable.

I've read that in multiple threads. Why is there no monthly fee? Not that I am complaining. :)

Titan_Wireless said:
So with that I ask your help in deciding which DVR is the best before I order the service. I have even considered waiting for V* to see how there DVR turns out.

OK, stupid question, but why are you NOT even considering D*??? :confused: :confused: (especially if you're considering V*)
The D-Tivo has a monthly fee, but that is per account, NOT per DVR like the ones from E* as the 522. Also, you can't get much more stable than a D-Tivo.

Titan_Wireless said:
I've read that in multiple threads. Why is there no monthly fee? Not that I am complaining. :)
Well back when the 501 and even 508 and 721 came out there were no DVR fee's with Dish. They then came out with the new line of DVR's which started having a monthly fee but the older units were grandfathered so they will never have a fee or so Dish claims.

dishrich said:
OK, stupid question, but why are you NOT even considering D*??? :confused: :confused: (especially if you're considering V*)
The D-Tivo has a monthly fee, but that is per account, NOT per DVR like the ones from E* as the 522. Also, you can't get much more stable than a D-Tivo.

Because I use the product I sell. I dont sell D*

Titan_Wireless said:
Because I use the product I sell. I dont sell D*

Well, do ya sell VOOM, either - you just said above you were considering it. ;) You obviously don't sell TW cable, but you still have it. Also, if you are selling this product, shouldn't you already know how well they work? ;)

But, I guess if you're willing to settle for 2nd rate, then just about any E* will do... :yes

I prefer E* to D* because I have yet to see a D* receiver I have been happy with a guide setup I like I just don't like the interface. I also prefer E*s price to D* but then again there are things that are better about D* but just because D* is for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Titan_Wireless said:
Thats a fact! I see all the grief that the 522 is causing people. Thanks for your input

I think most of us just have trivial problems. They only thing I have is that audio hiccups. I think the 522 is really quite good.

HTM,

I agree with that. Thanks...

DishRich,

Im glad your happy with your service and equipment. I do sell Voom and I had cable before any of that. Now that I am selling Satellite I am cutting the cable cord! Not that I have to justify myself to you or anyone else. ;)

Plus there are plenty of people in the forums that sell and use these services that are not quite sure which is best. Thats why we have this forum! As you read there posts you see people that have no issues with some devices and other people that have many issue with the same.

Thanks to all who help. :rolleyes:

Sapient said:
I think most of us just have trivial problems. They only thing I have is that audio hiccups. I think the 522 is really quite good.

Thats not so bad. My TW DVR has audio and video hiccups from time to time also. I could live with that. Do you use your 522 allot or some times? We use our cable DVR all the time. During prime-time we record a show and watch another and some times record 2 shows and watch a third on a different TV! I wonder if your 522 just has better hardware in it or is cooler then other people that have issues.

Thanks for your input.

I still think the 721 is the best receiver E* has ever built. The speed of them is great and very simple to use. Instant weather,games,you can pause second tuner up to two hours while watching other tuner, and no dvr fees all for only 299.00. And if you need HD,I haven't had that much trouble with the 921.I may get the 942 and give it a try,but I'm still keeping my 721 and 921 for a while.

Mruss,

Thanks for your input. I want the 942 also but the DVR is really for my wife. I dont have much need for recording HD stuff. I was planning on getting a HD receiver for my TV and a dual tuner DVR for our main TV downstairs (non-hd).

Are you having any issues with the screen format bug other people are having? Did L212 fix it for you or did you ever even have that issue? Also how often do you use your DVR? Do you use it allot and it still works well?

Titan_Wireless said:
Thats not so bad. My TW DVR has audio and video hiccups from time to time also. I could live with that. Do you use your 522 allot or some times? We use our cable DVR all the time. During prime-time we record a show and watch another and some times record 2 shows and watch a third on a different TV! I wonder if your 522 just has better hardware in it or is cooler then other people that have issues.

Thanks for your input.

I use it all the time. I never watch anything live, and even if I do, I usually pause it frm something or another and end up being behind anyway.

I'm not sure why some people have so many problems. Most seem to mostly have the audio drops (which are undenaibly annoying). I don't have a phone line, so don't use Caller ID, so I can't comment on that problem. I've never lost my recordings. I've never had it skip recordings. There are some real quirks, but they are pretty trivial as far as I am concerned. For $5/month, it is a heck of a deal.

For $5 a month, it's a total ripoff compared to what Directivo is. I've now seen how the Directivo's work and I can't wait to get away from Dish's POS DVR's. Audio dropouts, major video pixelation, strange popping noises and a hard freeze for me, all in the first few weeks of ownership. I know it's not a power issue as it's plugged into a UPS.

I don't understand how Dish could have dropped the ball so bad on the 522 when the 510 was such an excellent machine. In the year and a half that I had the 510 it maybe froze 3 times. I never had any audio or video problems either. It never missed a single recording and we used it a lot.

If I were you Titan I'd go with the 721. Most everyone here agrees it's a better machine, plus you don't have to pay the silly $5 a month fee. I almost got one but I just couldn't justify the price difference between it and a 522. I got my 522 for $160 on Ebay and the $710's were all well above $300. I only have to put up with it until November when my contract with Dish is up anyway. I'll live with (but not happily) the problems on my 522 until I can cancel my Dish service and go with a real DVR from Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)