Best Inexpensive DVB-S2 4:2:2 Reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IMCHEMIST

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Indiana
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I have been out of the FTA game for a few years due to relocating. I am just getting some of my dishes pointed back at the sky. I was/am a member of Satforums, but there doesn't seem to be too much activity there anymore (no disrespect intended). Anyway, I have several older C/Ku-band receivers/dish movers and plenty of DVB-S receivers (stand alone and USB/PCI). However, after lurking for a while, I find I am in need of some serious upgrades. I have read a lot of threads about various newer DVB-S2 receivers, but I am still not sure of what direction to go. I want something that has a lot of versatility (HD and 4:2:2 are a must), but I am on a relatively tight budget. I would really like to stay well under $200. I have a PC that I could use to do a PCI or USB tuner setup, but I would likely have to upgrade the video processor. I have been thinking about getting one of the cheaper Prof or TBS cards. I have also seen older used AZBOX Elites in the $150 price range. I am trying to decide if it would be worth the extra money to get a newer AZBOX or high end TBS card. Any recommendations you all might have would be most welcomed.

Welcome to Satguys.

I use a PC Card for 4:2:2 that was the cheaper route for me. (TBS )

Last edited:
The AZbox Elite is a good box, its tuner however is not as sensitive as many of the non 4:2:2 boxes on the market today.

And make sure ur PC is strong enough to handle HD 4:2:2 signals. Combined with a pc card mentioned, your best bet is going with the Azbox. No PC hassles.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As I understand it AzBox discontinued production of all but the miniMe. That was part of why I didn't go the AzBox route. A PC card or usb unit is much more versatile for feedhunting.

The lowest cost current STB HD FTA receiver that supports 4.2.2 is the AzBox miniMe American Edition which was released late November of last year. It comes with customized firmware for the North American market which is actively being developed. A few firmware updates were already released and we are currently working a new firmware version to improve blindscan options and performance along support for stacked LNBF's and numerous GUI enhancements.

The AzBox miniMe uses the avl6211 from Availink as a demod and the AV2011 from Airoha for a tuner which is also used in the microHD so it has excellent tuner sensitivity.

It costs slightly above your budget of $200 but you may have a chance to win one soon... ;)

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses! Based on what I have read (here and elsewhere), I am leaning towards the computer with a PCI card. I was thinking about dedicating an older Dell Optiplex gx520 with a 2.8ghz Pentium d processor. For those that run PCI tuners, do you think this machine would be adequate? It only has one PCIex1 slot. The rest are PCI. Is the PCI bus speed fast enough for either the satellite card or the video card? I have run 4:2:2 HD in DVB-S on a much slower machine with PCI based video cards and satellite receivers without any problems...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts