best offer?

clydesam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
what is the best offer you have got when trying to cancel the service with or without a commitment. Still trying to decide to stay or go back to comcast since I am having phone service with comcast installed the 21st of June. Already have internet with them. My partner is complaining about changing but also complaining about how much we pay and nothing is on. Currently have dish silver with service plan. He doesnt really care about the hd channels. I do what is the point of hdtvs without no hd service and over the air antennas arent stable in our condo. I wouldnt mind committing to get the free hd for life.

If you are under commitment, you won't be offered anything except to pay the ETF (early termination fee) if you cancel, the amount depending on when you started service and the fee in effect at that time. If under no commitment, they used to offer $10 off per month for up to a year plus 3 months of HBO/Showtime or similar. You'll have to call to see what, if anything, they may give up. Thy are reportedly being more stingy these days and not offereing anything to some subs.

You would have to call and ask if they had any promotions available to you. If you want HD Free you will have to have an HD receiver, renew a 24 month commitment, and sign up for autopay with paperless billing.

I may call and ask if I can get the same promotions as new customers too stay. I have too talk it over with partner first..What is the best way too approach this. Calling and asking for retention dept or calling and saying too cancel service. Been a customer this time since Oct 2007. I know I dont really want to go back to Directv and not sure about Comcast.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll get what new customers get, but then you never really know what might be offered. As to how, well if you call and say cancel, there is always that possibility they might say 'ok' and turn you off.

That said, the best offers I got in the past were always after I said cancel and it didn't do any good then as I had already switched. I told them that if they had made that offer when I called and asked about it, I wouldn't have switched. Didn't seem to matter to them...

If you do not want to cancel I would not attempt it. You may just want to get to customer retention. Just call or go online to chat with a CSR and ask what kind of promotions you can take part in. You will not be able to get the same as what new customers get. It's just not going to happen.

The best way to handle it is call and tell them you are considering cancelling and going to directtv. See what they offer you.
If its not good enough? wait a few days and then call in and cancel. See what they do to keep you. Still not good enough? Then cancel.
Then if you want to keep dish, just have your partner sign up for a new account in their name. They will get the new customer offers.

But you should be able to get a great package deal thru your cable company with all those services and it would beat anything dish or direct has to offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)