Best OTA antenna?

Asdad3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I am wanting a good off the air antenna so I can start picking up my locals in HD. Anybody have some opinions on that subject? I am located 40-80 miles from my local stations. Just looking for an antenna (indoor, attic, roof, etc....) that will pull in these stations with the best quality. I would appreciate any advice.

You will need a fringe antenna that is mounted on the roof or a TV tower. With a 40-80 mile distance from your locals you need something like skyvision has. You need to pull in as much signal as you can. The price of this one will cost you about $200 and they can only have truck delivery.

http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi1531010.html

This wedsite has good pictures of what you are looking for. Model 3671 is something you will need.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

Also you will have to install a rotor so that it can become a multi-directional antenna so you can zero in on one particular station.

Hope this helps.

If your local digital channels are in the UHF band, you can usually not beat a Channel Master 4228 8 bay UHF antenna, combined with a Winegard AP8275 preamp. We have found the past few years that this combo is best for deep fringe digital signals. It will even work for VHF frequencies above channel 6. Typically, you will mast mount this antenna at roof top height or higher. Do not mount in the attic, as you will degrade your signal. At the distance you describe, you need all the help you can get.

Also, invest in a rotor, as this antenna is very directional, and you will need the ability to fine tune your antenna for best signal.

Good Luck!

Al

Thanks for all the responses. I made one mistake on the distance, I am 28-45 miles away, not the 80 miles I originally thought. I was looking at the wrong guide on antenna web. Does this change your thinking on the type of antenna I need???

al said:
If your local digital channels are in the UHF band, you can usually not beat a Channel Master 4228 8 bay UHF antenna, combined with a Winegard AP8275 preamp. We have found the past few years that this combo is best for deep fringe digital signals. It will even work for VHF frequencies above channel 6. Typically, you will mast mount this antenna at roof top height or higher. Do not mount in the attic, as you will degrade your signal. At the distance you describe, you need all the help you can get.

Also, invest in a rotor, as this antenna is very directional, and you will need the ability to fine tune your antenna for best signal.

Good Luck!

Al
Just make sure you get a good preamp as they amplify everything. Several years ago a neighbor installed a preamp into his system and my Ham Radio gear would wipe out his reception on all channels. Yes my gear was putting out a very clean signal and did not affect my TV's at all. Took a month to convince him it was his preamp and not my 2KW amp operating on 10 meters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)