best OTA long range antenna

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
I wonder what indoor antenna is best in a rural area with stations a distance away. I'VE tried several. I get 9 channels but they come and go.
So I need a pretty strong amplified one. any suggestions?

If an indoor antenna is not doing the job, you most likely need an outdoor antenna. If an outdoor antenna is absolutely not possible due to living in an apartment or such one can mount a larger antenna that is usually meant for the outdoors in a window or appropriate location inside. I had to do this in Los Angeles and just told people it was modern art.
An amplifier can make up for signal loss in a long transmission line but can not create signal that is not there.

First question is what channels are you trying to receive - are they VHF-low 2-6; VHF-high 7-13 or UHF 14-37 or some combination thereof?
Next question is can you mount an antenna outside and get it as high as possible?
Then we can help.

He does not get LOS to Cleveland stations (@ 30 miles WSW) until about 120' AGL.

He must be in a hole out there.

I show Erie to be 62 miles ENE using the two decimal coordinates shown.

This will be the antenna I will be using,Conneautville is in a low spot in Crawford county. Cable was installed early on cause reception was always bad here from Erie
1693713278208.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: telstar_1
If an indoor antenna is not doing the job, you most likely need an outdoor antenna. If an outdoor antenna is absolutely not possible due to living in an apartment or such one can mount a larger antenna that is usually meant for the outdoors in a window or appropriate location inside. I had to do this in Los Angeles and just told people it was modern art.
An amplifier can make up for signal loss in a long transmission line but can not create signal that is not there.
Right, who in LA had seen an offair antenna since 1985? Abstract art.

This will be the antenna I will be using,Conneautville is in a low spot in Crawford county. Cable was installed early on cause reception was always bad here from Erie
View attachment 164816
I was given one of these from a guy selling and moving out of his house. It's ok, but it's not the best by any means. I wouldn't pay to buy one for the price they go for.