Best OTA Option for Hopper Sling

Alex Fox

Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Clanton, Alabama
I just got the Hopper with sling and been A Dish Customer since 2001. I am wanting to get channels from Montgomery added to My Hopper By OTA and OTA Tuner. There are two main channels I want ,both deemed significantly viewed in my county. THOSE CHANNELS ARE WSFA CH 12 and WAKA CH 8. I live on Lake Mitchell just outside Clanton, AL and am in The Birmingham DMA. Most of The transmitters for Montgomery are anywhere from 35-65 Miles from My House. I am in a valley which may or may not affect reception. What are my outdoor OTA options with DISH? I am guessing The longer range OTA and the higher up I can get it The better, but really do not know much yet. WHatever advice given is greatly appreciated.

I just got the Hopper with sling and been A Dish Customer since 2001. I am wanting to get channels from Montgomery added to My Hopper By OTA and OTA Tuner. There are two main channels I want ,both deemed significantly viewed in my county. THOSE CHANNELS ARE WSFA CH 12 and WAKA CH 8. I live on Lake Mitchell just outside Clanton, AL and am in The Birmingham DMA. Most of The transmitters for Montgomery are anywhere from 35-65 Miles from My House. I am in a valley which may or may not affect reception. What are my outdoor OTA options with DISH? I am guessing The longer range OTA and the higher up I can get it The better, but really do not know much yet. WHatever advice given is greatly appreciated.
Well, you are kind of asking Dish to do something it can't. They just offer one adapter, the rest is on you, making sure you have an antenna that will work for your location and distance, etc.

Satellite Guys has an OTA Forum that you can get assistance in. Also go to tvfool.com to try and get answers to your location needs.

DISH plays no role in what or how you get your locals OTA, other than to get it as part of the Hopper guide you have to use their tuner OTA adapter. After that you have to get an antenna meant to get stations in your area, meaning based on their distance, direction, terrain etc..

I took a quick look at the following two sites posted below with the general Lake Mitchell address and got conflicting results. You mention you are in a valley it may be there are mountains between you and some of transmitters and you won't get a signal or at least not reliably.
Yes higher up is better, and the longer range antennas will very directional so if you need a long range you may also need a rotor. The problem with that is for recording, if you need to change the direction of the antenna to get specific channels you can't record different channels unattended. That's all speculation since I have no idea your exact conditions. It also makes a difference if the channels are VHF or UHF because UHF is easier to get a signal from than VHF.

Go here for more assistance.

RabbitEars.Info

TV Fool

Address

Lake Mitchell is a very large diverse geographical area.

Your exact location is the most important factor in whether or not you have potential to receive the stations you want.

Fill out the TVFool.com report and post the url at the top of the report so we can see what the report looks like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)