Best Picture Quality - DISH or DirecTV?

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I have a friend that I referred to Dish Network. He is finally up on Dish Network. He was a DirecTV subscriber for the last 4 years before he switched to Dish Network. He switched mainly for local channels. Anyway, I asked him if he thought that Dish Network's picture quality was better than DirecTv's. He said that Dish Network's picture quality was noticabley better than DirecTV's. I was shocked. I did notice the other day when I was at another friend's house where they had their TV on. I thought the picture quality was horrible (new Zeinith LCD TV). I asked what satellite company they used and they said DirecTV. Can DirecTV be that much worse than Dish Network in terms of picture quality?

This debate has been covered MANY times. The best one that I saw was over on DBSForum where someone had both services up running side by side to compare them. The basic answer was that some channels look better on one service then the other, some look worst. There was another one that posted up screen captures of the same image from a LIL channel, one from OTA, one from E* and one from D*, the E*. He asked folks to guess which image belonged to which and the E* image came out worst of the three for quality.

So the bottom line answer is it depends.

BFG said:
I thought the D* one came out the worst?

Well, getting up in the years and my memory may not be what it was. I took a look in DBSForums and I can't find the thread that had the images in it (if it was there and not somewhere else).

I thought it was on here, It was one of those trick questions things where the guy was playing a game with us etc...

direct tv is better

I had direct tv for 10 years up until this past March switch to cable for 5 month then switched to dish when I bought a hd tv because you did not have to buy the receiver and they offered my locals. To me the Direct tv picture is much better unless the quality of Direct tv picture has changed since last March.

When I had Dish the pq was better. When we switched to DirecTV mainly on the cartoon channels you can while you watching it for a second it will get pixilated and look terrible. Dish did not do that. It does not matter because we reordered Dish and in March we are switching back. Read my post history if you don't understand why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)