Status
Not open for further replies.

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
I am getting Ipods for all of my kids for Christmas this year. I know about Itunes but it is expensive. Anyone know of any good quality sites that I they can download their songs from? I found a site www.allofmp3.com but I am a not too sure about it, you have to pre pay, the site is Russian so I am doubting they have the rights to distribute or maybe it doesn't apply to them. I don't want to end up with a big fine for copyright violations nor do I want a $500 bill from Itunes each month.

I wouldn't worry too much about huge iTunes bills. 85% of the content on my iPod is from my exisiting CD collection. The rest is from iTunes, and the majority of those songs I downloaded with Pepsi bottle caps from the last two years' iTunes / Pepsi Superbowl promotions. (it was also nice that some people at work liked drinking Pepsi but didn't have an iPod :) ) Free podcasts fill out the rest of my iPod harddrive, also from iTunes.

So, come next year, drink Pepsi! And give the caps to your kids... :D

Well my wife has an IV hooked up to her filled with Coke, maybe I can get her to switch to Pepsi

I like WalMart for 88 cents a song. :) Not sure if it works with an IPOD though, but it works great with my pocketdish. :D

How about one of the sites like Napster where you pay a flat monthly fee for unlimited song downloads? If I understand it correctly it works more like song renting, in that when you stop your subscription you no longer have access to the songs. But you do have a flat monthly fee, however.

allofmp3

I have used allofmp3.com for months with no problem. As far as I know it is legal in Russia (and therefore legal here). At least there are no pending lawsuits against them to my knowledge. A typical song will cost just a few cents and they have a great collection. They post new songs every day. You just deposit money in your online account with them (I believe it is a $15.00 minimum) and download to your heart's content until your balance is used up. Another thing I like about their site is you can pick your music format as well as the sound quality.

AllOfMp3 is grey market. It's perfectly legal in Russia (there was a question as to whether they got the rights to the songs legitimately or not, didn't look too much into it, but they seem to be in the clear now). You'll pay 15-20 cents per song (it's based per megabyte, so the longer the song or the higher the bitrate, the more you'll pay, but still much less than itunes).

Personally, that's the only place I've bought music online from. It's cheap, and there's no DRM restrictions. Do note that when you fund the account, the amount charged to your card may be off a hair due to currency fluctuations (so that $15 may end up being $15.26 or $14.72 or whatever), but they are a very legitimate Russian site, they won't run off with your credit card info (at least they haven't with mine or anyone I've talked to).

Also, all the lawsuits you see made by the RIAA are against file SHARERS. If you use a p2p program (emule/edonkey, kazaa, bittorrent, etc.) then not only are you downloading, but you're uploading too. They go after those distributing copyrighted material, not those that only download. Basically they won't be going after you because AllOfMp3 is actually legitimate where they're operated (so no court subpoenas to see who their customers are, they're not in the US), and even if it wasn't legit and they could do something about it they'd go after who was doing the distributing, which is solely AllOfMp3 (you're not distributing if you only download). Now, that isn't to say they won't go after file downloaders later, but right now they're more concerned with those who distribute, i.e. upload it to others.

That's my take on it.

Sounds good. I know my kids are getting gift cards from people for itunes but I will probably give allofmp3 a shot. Just not prepaying too much in advance. The p2p programs have too many corrupt files to bother with. Too bad I lost all those mp3's that I got off Napster years ago. I should get out my cd collection and convert those. My kids don't like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Rush, Ted Nugent etc. But then again I generally don't care for some of their music but it looks like I am going to be paying for it.

I see now that iTunes has episodes of "Monk" available. Now I'm tempted to get his-n-her iPods so my wife can get her Monk fix (and take it with her :)) and I can fit my music collection without having to decide what not to download. Plus, watch Tiki Bar TV :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)