Best remote for TV2 with a powered soundbar? (622 DVR)

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Trying to add a soundbar to the TV in the bedroom, which is fed from the TV2 output of our 622 DVR.

The soundbar has its own remote, with power/vol/mute buttons that we'd want to operate.

I currently have a 6.4 remote. Looking at the manual, I think I might be able to put the soundbar on to that as an AUX??? I'd just have to hit AUX, power, TV power, SAT, power to turn everything on/off (that ranks lower on the WAF)

We use a simple One-for-All on the TV downstairs, which turns TV/AVR/DVR on in sequence with a single press of a macro button.. just not finding the same for being upstairs.

One thing I don't know about... can I operate TV2 with a normal IR remote? then I could just use an IR repeater from upstairs to downstairs and get a 2nd one-for-all remote which we are already happy with (and use it upstairs)

SO.... I'm wondering I

a) stick with the 6.4 remote (no guarantee I will find the codes to operate a new no-name TV and the Visio soundbar)
b) try the 21.0? (not sure how much more automated it might/not be).. but the learning should take care of not finding codes
c) go the IR repeater route.
d) insert other/better option here :)

thanks,
Mike

Trying to add a soundbar to the TV in the bedroom, which is fed from the TV2 output of our 622 DVR.

The soundbar has its own remote, with power/vol/mute buttons that we'd want to operate.

I currently have a 6.4 remote. Looking at the manual, I think I might be able to put the soundbar on to that as an AUX??? I'd just have to hit AUX, power, TV power, SAT, power to turn everything on/off (that ranks lower on the WAF)

We use a simple One-for-All on the TV downstairs, which turns TV/AVR/DVR on in sequence with a single press of a macro button.. just not finding the same for being upstairs.

One thing I don't know about... can I operate TV2 with a normal IR remote? then I could just use an IR repeater from upstairs to downstairs and get a 2nd one-for-all remote which we are already happy with (and use it upstairs)

SO.... I'm wondering I

a) stick with the 6.4 remote (no guarantee I will find the codes to operate a new no-name TV and the Visio soundbar)
b) try the 21.0? (not sure how much more automated it might/not be).. but the learning should take care of not finding codes
c) go the IR repeater route.
d) insert other/better option here :)

thanks,
Mike

TV2 CAN be controlled via IR but it requires a Dish TV2 IR Converter Kit (Dish part #163933). That'd be the way to go if you have a universal remote that has the proper codes for all 3 devices or can learn them--macros would be great as well. If not then I'd pick up a 21.0 remote from a seller on ebay. It can learn the TV and soundbar if necessary. Hope this helps!

Ed

Dish Store (see link @ top of page) has the kit for $39.99. Click on "Remote Controls" on the left of their home page to find it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)