Best SD on Plasma-Dish or Direct or Voom

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I am a long time Dishnetwork subscriber. This summer, I purchased a 50 inch plasma tv. The SD is "acceptable," but I'm curious whether Directv or Voom would provide a better SD picture. Also, I haven't been thrilled with the Dish 811 and all of its bugs. What do you guys think? Do the other providers have better hardware. This truly is a genuine question and not meant to start flame wars. I appreciate you responses.

I think you will get answers both positive and negative asking this question. I will abstain from other provider critique...

I will however ask if you have tried other 811 output resolutions while watching SD content?

Jason

Most people who have switched around state that the PQ between the service is pretty much the same.

What does matter is what receiver it is and how its hooked up. I have a 921, and Dish SD through DVI or Component looks like crap (OTA SD looks pretty good). If I view it through S-Video, it looks decent. However, on my 721 or 508 hooked up via S-Video, even the SD looks pretty good.

I don't have a plasma, but I do have a Samsung DLP.

Voom isn't doing very good so read the forums before thinking about it, they may have more software problems than DISH. I like Directv HDTV equipment for reliability but their SD is definitely not HDTV but it is acceptable.

Hey Jal. What connections are you using between the receiver and cheap-0 plasma? S-Video, RCA, Coax? Like Steven said, I have my 721 hooked via S-Video and the picture quality is pretty darn good on my 50" LCD. Of course not comparible to DVI-HD, but a HELL of a lot better than my friends on standard cable. Anyways, why have an 811 and no TV capable of utilizing it's HD capabilities? You would have been better off getting a receiver with DVR capabilities.

I'm using a Monster DVI to HDMI cable. I also have the second input hooked up with Monster s-video.

oh I see then. So your HD content looks fine with the 811, but anything SD looks like crap. Yep, I had the same problem with my 811 also. I ditched it, but mostly because I thought the HD content was uncompelling, and that dual DVR was a better value than 2 or 3 native HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)