Best Signal Strength Meter for RVing

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I'm sure there must be a thread for this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. What meter is working well for you. I would like something in the $100 range that would be fairly simple to use. I've read that the simple ones are pretty unreliable.

use tripod to clear tree troubles............

use your receiver, or a old receiver just for aiming.

with all the multi sat locations you will need to make certain your aimed at the right ones

I use this one: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/satellite-finder/14067.

For my 1000.2 I set the skew and angle for my location cover the outside LNBFs with tin foil and shoot for the center Sat. Peek the signal with the above meter, go inside to verify I have 119 (in my case), and remove tin foil. This eliminates "false" signals from the other LNBFs and speeds the process up greatly. I am sure there are more expensive setups but it works for me.

One of these days, when I win the lottery, I will buy a VuCube and not have to mess with it. :rolleyes:

Spend a few hundred more and go for a Birdog. They positively identify the satellites and send switch commands to the lnb's assuring that you're receiving the correct satellite on each lnb. They're a little pricey, but they eliminate all the guesswork.

I saved the cost of mine in liquor alone. Aiming the dish used to drive me to drinking.

Spend a few hundred more and go for a Birdog. They positively identify the satellites and send switch commands to the lnb's assuring that you're receiving the correct satellite on each lnb. They're a little pricey, but they eliminate all the guesswork.

I saved the cost of mine in liquor alone. Aiming the dish used to drive me to drinking.

$500 to watch for a few nights a year is a bit rich for my purposes. Also the Wineguard unit was what I was trying to avoid since it doesn't have a very good reputation. Thanks for the replies, but I'm still hoping for a better solution.:)

Consider a Sat Buddy. They are in your price range on eBay. If you are tuning a 500 dish, get a dish pro dual or dish pro single lnb for tuning. Put it on the 119 side of the "Y" bracket, tune 119 in, put your d.p.p. twin on after tuning and you should be set. Good luck!

Like he said, He will only use it a few times per year. There is no reason for him to spend any money to find the satellites that he is looking for. Since he is in a RV, I would just turn on the signal set up screen and turn the volumn way up, Look at the other RV's and see where they are pointing, then look up my elevation, sku and azimuth via dishpointer.com and slowly turn the dish until I hear the signal level go up.

Thanks guys. I'll try the DishPoint system and see how that works out before I invest anything. I have an old Voom and a D* dish with single LNB. Looks like I can get everything that I want to see on 119. Will one of these dishes work ok for me?

Something not mentioned but may be worth looking into.... Contact the RV Park to see if there is a dealer locally who offers RV Calibrations. Or contact a dealer locally and see if they do that and at what price.

I added this service to my company and have a dedicated Driver just for the RV Parks in the Spring/Summer. Most RV Parks know who the local Satellite Providers are and some get a little commission for advertising for them.

If you know exactly where you plan to stay the Sat-Guy may even offer a discount if you bring him continuous business

order the $20.00 earbud style , if you do buy the analog "winegard" turn the sensitivity all the way down ( they are not really made by winegard ) I see that you are attempting to create simplicity, understandable.

heres a link only 12 bucks perfect for rvs
Steren 203-650 SkyTracker Satellite Beeper Meter Audio Read-Out Single LNB Receiver Powered Sky Tracker Satellite TV Antenna Alignment Signal Finder / Locator Set-Up, Part # 203650: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Au

Is there a distance limitation that prevents you from using the receiver itself?

You could turn the TV up and go by the tones.

FRS radios are so popular have someone stand in side while your outside moving the dish around.... set the elevation and skew properly first and the right and left movements should hit it right on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)