Best way to add a 721 to my system?

smentzer

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
Hi folks, I currently have a 501 and an old 5000 fed off of a dual lnb dish 500 (the one with the switch in the dual lnb itself), so I can feed both receivers off of the 2 lines running into my house.

I am considering getting a 721 (522s seem to be cheaper on ebay, but I have heard of the activation issues people have had), so I will need another feed ( i will get rid of the 5000).

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to do this is get a quad lnb and just run another line into my house, for 3 total (2 for the 721 and one for the 501).

I have 3 questions i guess:
1. I have seen both 'legacy' quad LNBs and 'DishPro' quad LNBs. The legacy ones are cheaper, is there any reason to go for the DishPro version instead (future upgrades maybe)?
2. Is there a better way to do this other than the quad LNBs? If I can do something now that would also help if I upgrade to HDTV or adding another dish later on, i might as well.
3. Should I go for the 522 anyway? I have america's everything package, so the dvr fee isn't a problem. Is there a sure-fire way to get the 522 activated if I do get one?

Thanks!

1. Dishpro is better for the future, and a little faster at times (checkswitch!)
2. You could pickup a new DP TWIN lnb for short money (like 10 on ebay) and a DP34 (another 25), you would then take your 2 wires from the new lnb that are already run, into the DP34, and output to 4 boxes (501+721x2 + 5000(if you wanted) )
3. The 721 is more expensive yes, however you may have many hassles trying to activate the 522...

OPTION 1:
Replace your Legacy Twin with a Dish Pro Twin and add DP34 Switch. The DP34 Switch will also work with a third sat location if you think you may need it for the future.

OPTION 2:
Replace your Legacy Twin with a Dish Pro Quad. It's a slightly easier install since you need less cables.

Remember the your old 5000 receiver will not work with Dish Pro LNBs unless you use a DP adapter.

Dish 500 receiver using only one SW21

Dish Network may purchase Kings' rights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)