Best way to cancel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
and let me say I love Dish, but the only downfall for me personally is the lack of Comcast Sports Houston, The Mountain and the departure of ESPNU, News and ABC Family in HD along with little to no On Demand programming. On top of that Comcast offers a bundled discount of $15 off for those that have their internet service which I do.

Plus, even on top of having to pay the last six months of my contract with Dish at $17.50/ month I'm getting a pretty nice deal with Comcast.

With that said, what's the best way to go about cancelling my account (when I get to that point, I'm not their yet)? Chat, phone?

Finally, I have no way to get on the roof of my apartments and remove the LNB. Will this be a problem?

Your help would be appreciated. I love these here forums and enjoy Dish Network a ton.

The ONLY way you can cancel is by calling.

If they ask you for a LNB call DISHSTORE and ask for Claude, he can send you an old LNB (might work, might not) for the cost of shipping. ;)

The ONLY way you can cancel is by calling.

If they ask you for a LNB call DISHSTORE and ask for Claude, he can send you an old LNB (might work, might not) for the cost of shipping. ;)

Hi Scott and the group, did Dish stop using chat? When I cancelled about 8 months ago I used chat. It was nice to have a copy of the text in case there was any problems later. In my case I had no trouble at all and came back to Dish after 3 months with a new 211 receiver to replace the 222 that I did not like. Later, DC

I saw your post, Yragha, and I would be more than happy to help you! I can assure you that we're always looking to expand our channel lineup and offer as many programs as we can in HD. Per your request, I have submitted your feedback for each of those programs in HD to our programming management department to look into getting them added. We do currently have ESPNU, ESPN News, and ABC Family in standard definition all under each of our America's Top packages. Also, if you could email me your account number, I can review it and find out what options are available!

Hope that helps!

I saw your post, Yragha, and I would be more than happy to help you! I can assure you that we're always looking to expand our channel lineup and offer as many programs as we can in HD. Per your request, I have submitted your feedback for each of those programs in HD to our programming management department to look into getting them added. We do currently have ESPNU, ESPN News, and ABC Family in standard definition all under each of our America's Top packages. Also, if you could email me your account number, I can review it and find out what options are available!

Hope that helps!

i think his issue may be that you used to have those channels in hd, and now you dont

I cancelled two weeks ago after having been with Dish for over 10 years. I switched to cable because of sports, specifically SNY. When I called to cancel, the CSR asked what service I was considering switching to. When I said I already had Time Warner, we went through the process in less than 2 minutes. She explained that I had to send back the box and the LNB if I could. It sounds like my LNB is like yours - on the roof where I can't get to it (not afraid of heights, afraid of falling). She said she would put in an "exception" for the LNB. I got my box about a week later, followed the instructions for the box and remote, and sent it back. All is well at this point, Dish is satisfied and I am satisfied. FWIW, since switching I have not missed a game of my Mets in HD, and while there has been a bit of a learning curve for the new system, I am a fairly happy camper and very pleased with the quality and amount of HD I am getting for about the same price I was paying for Dish.

I cancelled last May for a month or so. Point is, Like Dark Jedi said as well, DISH gave me an exception when it came to the LNB so I didn't have to send it back in. Still had to send in the receivers and such. Hope this helps.

I cancelled a few weeks ago as well. The fact that satellite TV was a great place to get your local sports teams when it first began was one of the reasons I started with Dish 13 years ago. They were first with HD and kept adding it, far surpassing what my crappy cable company had. However, over the years, the cable caught up with Dish with respect to HD (at least channels I cared about), but I stuck with Dish because I loved the DVRs and was used to the whole deal.

However, when Dish dumped SNY I had to bail. Dish had no YES, they dumped MSG, and then SNY. They did not have the MLB network, and when they had SNY it was hit or miss for HD service. With cable, I get all 3 NYC sports RSN stations, in HD all of the time, plus the MLB network, and much better On Demand stuff (like Howard Stern, etc)

It really hurt to leave, but they gave me no choice, being a life long Mets fan. I am now reading that they want to be the "movie leader", and are basically forfeiting Sports to DTV. Big mistake, I think, as getting movies is now one of the easiest things in the world to do. You get them on the internet, downloaded to your TV, iPad, etc. Who needs Dish?

CONTENT is the key, and live sports is an exclusive content. "Movies" can be sourced from unlimited places. Oh well.

Just my opinion.

On topic, I called! :D

Yes movies can be accessed from many places and DISH is the easiest way for many to get their movies from. Especially in country areas with no broad band connections.

I cancelled a few weeks ago as well. The fact that satellite TV was a great place to get your local sports teams when it first began was one of the reasons I started with Dish 13 years ago. They were first with HD and kept adding it, far surpassing what my crappy cable company had. However, over the years, the cable caught up with Dish with respect to HD (at least channels I cared about), but I stuck with Dish because I loved the DVRs and was used to the whole deal.

However, when Dish dumped SNY I had to bail. Dish had no YES, they dumped MSG, and then SNY. They did not have the MLB network, and when they had SNY it was hit or miss for HD service. With cable, I get all 3 NYC sports RSN stations, in HD all of the time, plus the MLB network, and much better On Demand stuff (like Howard Stern, etc)

It really hurt to leave, but they gave me no choice, being a life long Mets fan. I am now reading that they want to be the "movie leader", and are basically forfeiting Sports to DTV. Big mistake, I think, as getting movies is now one of the easiest things in the world to do. You get them on the internet, downloaded to your TV, iPad, etc. Who needs Dish?

CONTENT is the key, and live sports is an exclusive content. "Movies" can be sourced from unlimited places. Oh well.

Just my opinion.

On topic, I called! :D

I feel your pain. My story is almost identical to yours, I really did have some angst leaving Dish after 10+ years. There has been a bit of a learning curve going back to cable (especially with the crappy program guide), but I haven't missed a Mets game since switching and SNY is HD full time.

I'm battling this myself. I've been with Dish for over a decade. I want to leave to full time HD RSNs and ESPNU, but I have a certain amount of brand loyalty and familiarity with Dish. If our local cable was a little better, I probably would have switched already. Now I'm just debating whether or not to go with DirecTV.

Yes movies can be accessed from many places and DISH is the easiest way for many to get their movies from. Especially in country areas with no broad band connections.

That may end up to be Dish's bread and butter market. Because in the city, it's sports, and most "city folk" have to have basic cable or some sort of cable for their internet anyway. If they already have cable for the internet, then lose their sports from Dish, it's very easy to say goodbye to dish and then just upgrade their existing cable service. Dish cannot win in this scenario.

Question has arisen...

I have seven months remaining on my contract. I know it's $17.50 per month to cancel...

Will I also be penalized the $10 per month of HD for life as well?