Best way to get ALL HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lifterguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa.
My current dish setup is a follows: Dish 1000 pointed at 110, 119 and 118, and a side dish pointed at 61.5. The dish is located on the lower corner of my roof, and I have some tall trees about 75 feet behind my house. When the tech installed the Dish 1000, he suggested we keep the 61.5 side dish instead of using 129, because he though I would probably get interference from the trees.
Now, of course, I am missing out on the recently added HD channels. I called Dish and asked the CSR about switching my setup to the Eastern Arc. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and he told me my area is not eligible for Eastern Arc. I also told him that if Eastern Arc would not work, I thought it might be possible to move the dish to my chimney (I higher point on the house) and clear the trees that way. Of course this would require a new mount and a longer cable run, but I was hoping they would agree to send a tech to check it out. (I do pay for the DHPP.) But he brushed that off - basically indicating that if I wanted to move the Dish I was on my own.
So does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do next? Is there anyway I can determine on my own if the chimney location would actually work for clearing the trees and hitting 129? (It's easy for me to get up on the roof next to the Chimney, I'm just not sure how to check the line of sight.)
If the Chimney mount would work, am I on my own to buy the mounting hardware, and run the longer coax? If I did all that, what are the chances that Dish would actually agree to send someone out to move the actual dish?
And finally - does anyone know if the CSR was correct in saying that Eastern Arc is not an option for Pittsburgh? (I thought I saw some Pittsburgh locals in an uplink list for some Eastern Arc satellites.)

It appears that for Pittsburg, you need a clear shot of approx. 22­ degrees above level to see 129, pointed at approx. 250 degrees on your compass.

You can do a crude finder using a torpedo level and a protractor.

First check your current 61.5 degree location using the protractor to see if the 22 degrees would clear your trees. If so, you can just rotate your 61.5 dish to pickup 129. You will need a compass. Walmart carries them for under $10.

Whether you end up with WA or EA, I'd use a 1000.2 or 1000.4 and reaim the 61.5 dish to 118.

I don't think Dish will do, or have anything to do with, chimney mounts any more. Perhaps an installer has better information on this.

You shouldn't even need 118 any longer since locals are on 110 (SD), 129 (HD) -- and soon 77 (HD) -- unless you have Int'l programming of some sort.

I currently have all HD with a single 1000+ (pole mount) that pics up 110, 119, 118, 129 - I live just North of Pittsburgh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)