Best way to get HD on TV2

Beams

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Here's what I have. A 722 with HD on TV1 and SD on TV2 and a 322 with SD on
TV1 and TV2.
I just got another HD TV that I would like to make TV2 on the 722 HD. Have any ideas?

I have a 722 also i don't ge true hd on tv2 but if you want true hd on that new tv my sugestion is to by another hd receiver unless you want to extend your contract with dish you can find some fairly reasonable at dish depot.com. Make sure you hook it up through the HDMI port for best picture and sound.

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read where a lot of guys are running TV1 off component and TV2 off HDMI in order to get HD on both sets? Guys (and gals)?

TV1 has component and HDMI and composite/S-video outputs, TV2 had composite. They both output on the common RF output. These are the outputs, inputs sat 1, sat 2, and OTA are digital HD or SD as broadcast and recorded the same.

The best you can do with one HD receiver is run one on HDMI and the same program on component. A second connection for composite from TV2 or RF will allow use of separate (dual) mode but this means no PIP and may block viewing during recording(s). The long run on HDMI is simpler if you can get the connector thru, versus 5 runs for component plus separate composite/RF, in either case.
-Ken

To clarify, with just one receiver and one tv connected hdmi and the other component, you will not have independent viewing. Both sets will show the same programs.

You have five TVs, right?
TV1 HD being fed from the 722
TV2 SD being fed from the 722
TV3 SD being fed from the 322
TV4 SD being fed from the 322
TV5 HD not being used.

Upgrade the 322 to a 622/722. Then you can:
TV1 HD from original 722
TV2 SD from original 722
TV3 HD from new 722
TV4 SD from new 722
TV5 SD RF out from either receiver (matching the TV2 output).

Thank for the replys. I have 4 TV's. 1 722k with HD on TV1 and SD on TV2. Also 1 322 with SD on TV1 and TV2. I would like to get HD on TV2 of the 722.

TV2 output off any Dish Dual tuner DVR/Receiver is ALWAYS SD.

You can have two HDTVs powered from a 722, one via HDMI and one on component, but they both see the same programming.

If you need different programming on each HDTV, you must replace your 322 with a 222/622/722/722k.

You can get an hdmi splitter and run hdmi to both tv's instead of using component.

No. One cable is 3ft. and the other is 50ft. I paid around $30 for the splitter. There is a cheaper one that is not ac powered. It was not strong enough to carry the signal. I returned it for a powered hdmi splitter and everything works fine.

does the length of the cables have to match or will it cause a delay with a longer cable
The cable length is feet is approximately the delay in nanoseconds. The bandwidth in measured in megahertz or reciprocally in microseconds. Thus they are 3 orders of magnitude different.
-Ken

So long as you do not care to have to watch the same thing on TV2 as you watch on TV1, I use the Tripp Lite Model #: P167-000 HDMI over Cat 5 extender. It works great. I have a second 722k in my office that I send to my den over the extender, it is about 100' and it works great. By the way, I use the recommended solid wire Cat 6 ethernet cable.

I have 2 HD feeds from a 722. TV1 uses component and I installed (2) CAT5e cables from the 722 to TV2. I then purchased a CAT5e to HDMI converter plate for each end. I switched the TV1 remote to IR/UHF.
So now I can watch HD on either TV (Same program) and if I'm watching something on TV1 and my wife wants HGTV she changes input from HDMI input 1 to TV 73 and watches SD.
Make sense?

No . There is supposedly a tv3 that uses wi-fi to sling the hd picture to a 15 " hd LCD tv that you have to buy from DISH. But tv 2 is still analog sd. But who knows if that hd lcd tv will even be in the release once the 922 comes to market.

Lets say I buy a receiver (222k) to replace my (322). Are instructions included or a place on the web to get them?

I wish they would make it to where HD was able to be sent through coax on channel 3, and the UHF channels, to make installs simpler for additional rooms. It would also be quicker and easier to just change the channel if you want to access a different tuner if it is already in use in another room.

This goes back to what I said years ago. They should have just one box for every home with the number of tuners needed and a hard drive recording all of the content then split it out to the appropriate rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)