Best way to get SWM with upcoming move?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msajeff

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Illinois
Situation: I live in the Springfield/Bloomington/Champaign market but "live" in the Chicago market. We are literally moving in the middle of May within the S/B/C market. Of course for mover's connection we will end up having our locals migrated back to the proper channels. We have a HR20, R15, and standard receiver...I believe D11 (got it in Aug '07.) We have been out of contract since last August and have the maintenance plan. The only change we would like to make is to add another HD-DVR.

What is the best way to go about making sure we get SWM? The HR20 has been acting weird so I don't think it will be a problem to do a legit switch. That should leave us with two of the new HD-DVRs that are SWM compatible. Would they give me a decent (free) deal on not only the additional unit but also on an upgrade to the R15? Also I know when we had everything installed we were in the market that required a second dish for locals. Is it safe to assume that we will eventually require an equipment upgrade to the R15 and standard receiver and thus I would be in a better position to get a good deal from them?

I have been considering moving the locals back home in the near future and trying to get all equipment but the additional HD-DVR swapped out prior to the move. Good idea or not? Finally, is this something that a CSR could handle or do I need to do the cancel at the prompt routine and deal directly with retention?

Based on having an R15 and D11 active, your work order would default to the traditional equipment. Only way to use SWM is to shut off those other receivers first.

If you have just HR2x, H2x, or R22, then you can use SWM. Wether they provide it via the mover connection is possibly just up to the installer and what equipment he has.

So it is safe to assume that I should pursue changing our equipment prior to setting up the mover's connection appt?

dtv will not give you a swm based on your equipment. do to it not being compatable with the swm unless you can get them to get you a legacy switch.
this switch makes your old reciever's compatable with the swm but i do not know of any installers using them.the only other way to get a swm is to update all of your reciever's prior to instilation. which would most likely cost you some money no doubt.

I have the same question but a different situation. I am building a new home and I want to wire the home internally with one cable from the dish to a central switch per SWM. Looking for cleaner install without all the many cables. I have three compatible DVRs (HR 20 and above) and an H20/want to upgrade this as well to DVR. When I call can I be accommodated? I thought I read earlier that D* was not guaranteeing SWM installs to anyone. Has this changed? Does not make sense that I should need to buy this SWM system aftermarket if they are doing a new install.

good luck anyways, My install called for a SWM and the installer didnt install it, said it was too expensive of a part and Directv dosent want them installed (which is a lie) he said I would have to run another run over to a bedroom on the far side of the house, he would do all the other runs so he didnt get yelled at, so I guess it also depends on your installer and not Directv.

I've got news for you. DirecTV doesn't specify SWM ever. It's totally luck of the draw as to what the installer has on the truck and what they have been told by their supervisors. My installer had SWM and non-SWM LNBs on his truck and put on a non-SWM just because it was the first one he picked up. The lines were pre-run from previous primestar/dish network installs so he didn't care with regards to what I got (but I did, because of future receiver additions). The DirecTV online order I had said SL5-S, but he didn't have a DirecTV work order. He just had a work order from his company that said HD DVR and non DVR HD receiver. They just install whatever dish they have to in order to get it working.

I've got news for you. DirecTV doesn't specify SWM ever. It's totally luck of the draw as to what the installer has on the truck and what they have been told by their supervisors. My installer had SWM and non-SWM LNBs on his truck and put on a non-SWM just because it was the first one he picked up. The lines were pre-run from previous primestar/dish network installs so he didn't care with regards to what I got (but I did, because of future receiver additions). The DirecTV online order I had said SL5-S, but he didn't have a DirecTV work order. He just had a work order from his company that said HD DVR and non DVR HD receiver. They just install whatever dish they have to in order to get it working.

It was on the work order for SWM it was when they were first coming out and I have alot of equipment on my account.

Yeah but my point is you aren't really guaranteed anything other than having the receivers and programming you ordered. Hell, my installer even had to track down an H23 because he had no HD receivers other than DVRs. I don't blame them, because 99% of customers don't know or care what SWM is. They just know they ordered DirecTV and want it installed, they don't care about the particular parts required.

They were having issues with one of the two brands of SWM LNBs in very cold temperatures.

They told installers not to use them in cold environments a few weeks ago. I had not heard if it had expanded from there, but either way, SWM will be VERY hard to get right now (and nearly imposible unless you acquire / install yourself).

They were having issues with one of the two brands of SWM LNBs in very cold temperatures.

They told installers not to use them in cold environments a few weeks ago. I had not heard if it had expanded from there, but either way, SWM will be VERY hard to get right now (and nearly imposible unless you acquire / install yourself).

WNC lnb's

How cold are we talking? We almost never get below zero here...and when we do it's in the middle of the night when we're sleeping. Now if I was in Minneapolis where I went to college and where I remember weeks where the temp never got above 0, I'd completely understand...

SWM INSTALL HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED PER DTV

It must just be by area.. I am an hour and half south of you (same company) and have 2 Kaku Installs for tomorrow on my w.o shows..

3ODU - KA/KU SWM3 Tech Delivers New Support Hardware Installed

Other Work Order Commercial

1ODU - KA/KU SWM5 Tech Delivers New Support Hardware Installed

Then again all we have for SWM LNB's are the eagle aspens /shrug Then again it may take a few weeks for work orders to update the changes. I know I just picked up a batch from the warehouse this morning.

It must just be by area.. I am an hour and half south of you (same company) and have 2 Kaku Installs for tomorrow on my w.o shows..

3ODU - KA/KU SWM3 Tech Delivers New Support Hardware Installed

Other Work Order Commercial

1ODU - KA/KU SWM5 Tech Delivers New Support Hardware Installed

Then again all we have for SWM LNB's are the eagle aspens /shrug Then again it may take a few weeks for work orders to update the changes. I know I just picked up a batch from the warehouse this morning.

Cold states some how VA is a northern state.

That was my original understanding that they were not installing in cold environments. The WNC LNB started flaking out around zero degrees (glad I have the Eagle Aspen).

Looks like some areas are still getting/installing them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)