Best way to leave Dish?

I ended my account last month because I moved. The new place has a sketchy view of the satellites.
I told the rep that I liked Dish, but had to cancel because of that. She then did her best to review the mandatory screen pages as quickly as possible. Took about 20 minutes on hold - waiting, and probably another 20-25 with the rep. Could have been worse.

I was putting it off, but I finally got on the phone and cancelled Dish. Was greeted by a robot voice who asked what I wanted to do. "Cancel Service" I said. After 18 minutes on hold I finally got a rep. to talk to. I had to tell her a few times why I'm cancelling - "because I don't watch it very much". Then she told me about the early termination fee and it was what I expected. She said that I would get a return shipping box in 7-10 business days, and after that I have 30 days to return the receiver or pay for it, which could be somewhere between $25 and $350. She couldn't be more specific. Besides the early termination fee, I also have to pay $15 for return shipping.

It took about 25 minutes total, which was not as bad as I expected.

When I got off the phone I saw that my receiver was de-activated so I unplugged it. Then I subscribed to the ad-free version of Discovery+. Now watching one of the shows in UHD -- something I was never able to do with Dish.

I feel relieved. I will be saving $63 per month. This is good because my wife had to retire early from her job and is only getting about 20% of her former salary. Even after cancelling Dish, our monthly expenses still exceed our income. Will have to find other expenses to reduce/eliminate and some things to sell.

I was putting it off, but I finally got on the phone and cancelled Dish. Was greeted by a robot voice who asked what I wanted to do. "Cancel Service" I said. After 18 minutes on hold I finally got a rep. to talk to. I had to tell her a few times why I'm cancelling - "because I don't watch it very much". Then she told me about the early termination fee and it was what I expected. She said that I would get a return shipping box in 7-10 business days, and after that I have 30 days to return the receiver or pay for it, which could be somewhere between $25 and $350. She couldn't be more specific. Besides the early termination fee, I also have to pay $15 for return shipping.

It took about 25 minutes total, which was not as bad as I expected.

When I got off the phone I saw that my receiver was de-activated so I unplugged it. Then I subscribed to the ad-free version of Discovery+. Now watching one of the shows in UHD -- something I was never able to do with Dish.

I feel relieved. I will be saving $63 per month. This is good because my wife had to retire early from her job and is only getting about 20% of her former salary. Even after cancelling Dish, our monthly expenses still exceed our income. Will have to find other expenses to reduce/eliminate and some things to sell.
Understand, sorry to see you go. Best of luck to you and the Mrs.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and N6BY
Our home account was in the same range with a Hopper 3 and 4K Joey plus Locals. We get a great OTA signal, so that cut $12/mo. Like many consumers, we have been streaming more than watching Dish, so I switched to the Flex Pack and added the National Action pack for ESPN & Fox Sports which ended up dropping our bill to under $94/mo. Plus, most streaming services will use your Dish account to access their content.

Of course, Foxbat, Jr. found out last Saturday that he can’t use our Dish credentials to log into FoxNOW since we dropped Locals… :devilish

With the Big Ten Football Season underway, I added the Regional Sports Pack to my Flex Pack, but it doesn’t include all the Big Ten channels, just 405-01. Fortunately, the Fox Sports App recognizes my Dish account information and I have the Purdue game streaming now.

49-0, sounds like they have the Home opener in-hand…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)