Best way to receive Distant Networks in Extreme Northeast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I need to know how this can work now that Dish is going to turn off distant networks.

Here is what I want. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. The networks. I don't care what city they come from as long as they are over Dish Network satellite. I don't care if they are called locals, or distants or remotes. Just want network programming that will integrate into my DVR.

According to my future Dish account, I live in an area in the EXTREME NorthEast of the USA, (near Ottawa Canada ;) ), that wouldn't qualify for distant networks. I can 'move' to a new service address (and keep the same billing address) if that will help somehow. Do spotbeams come into play with Dish? I wonder if any would reach up to where I am.

Anyhow, do I have any options? I just want the networks over Dish. I don't care how. Thanks, Rob

bertbarndoor said:
I need to know how this can work now that Dish is going to turn off distant networks.

Here is what I want. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. The networks. I don't care what city they come from as long as they are over Dish Network satellite. I don't care if they are called locals, or distants or remotes. Just want network programming that will integrate into my DVR.

According to my future Dish account, I live in an area in the EXTREME NorthEast of the USA, (near Ottawa Canada ;) ), that wouldn't qualify for distant networks. I can 'move' to a new service address (and keep the same billing address) if that will help somehow. Do spotbeams come into play with Dish? I wonder if any would reach up to where I am.

Anyhow, do I have any options? I just want the networks over Dish. I don't care how. Thanks, Rob
Wait until Oct. or Nov. and see what shakes out, not even Charlie knows what is going to happen. It is currently in the hands of the legal system.:) Of course to be funny I could say put an antenna up on top of Mount Washington and see how distant a signal you can pick up. I think that is the highest point in the extreme northeast.

Bert, I am near Ottawa also about 55 miles south. I am in Watertown, NY DMA so no LIL for me. I get all distants (grandfathered) now, but will likely lose CBS and ABC, and keep NBC and Fox if any networks stay.

If all are lost you could move to Franklin co. NY which qualifies for Burlington, VT. LIL, their spot covers all of northern NY, Vermont, NH, and most of Me. If all is lost then possibly Watertown, NY DMA 178 might get uplinked eventually. NBC would have to be SV, as the DMA has no NBC station.

You can also move to NYC dma and get NYC HD for the big 4 with an HD reciever aimed at 61.5. 61.5 does not use spot beam, it is CONUS. Boston, Philly, Washington, and Miami HD are all on 61.5. You need a MPEG4 reciever.

I am just going to wait and see what happens, but I may really "move " to Tampa, as I have a winter home there and will be there in about a month. Then next spring I will see how this all has sorted out.

However, it looks like you have an RV and do a lot of sight seeing north of the St Lawrence Seaway, as well as in and around Ottawa and would like to take your receiver with you went you get your subscription. :D

Looking at this thread/post and some others from you.

You can have separate Billing and Service Addresses. Your programming is based on your fixed Service Address and/or Zip Code where the receiver is installed. Note: Since a POST OFFICE (used to address an envelope) and a CITY (physical place or legal boundary) are two different things, a CSR may have to ask where do you exactly live to see what you qualify for.

So when you get settled in to your physical address, the below links might help you to determine if you will still get the locals or any other spot beams when travelling to Canada or elsewhere.

On the below link, you can use it to find out the TP and Spotbeam the locals and other programs are on.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/110list.htm

Spot Beams: http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/297
... Scroll until you get to "Larger and more detailed maps of E*10 spot beams" and click on the Here
Here are a couple that you may be interested in.
Transponder 23: http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/E10spots/e10t23.pdf
Transponder 26: http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/E10spots/e10t26.pdf
Transponder 27: http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/E10spots/e10t27.gif

EDIT: Also, since you are very flexible for your permanent/physical home. There are several locations that currently broadcast CONUS instead of SPOT, and I think it is about 4 of these that are used for DNS, Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; and I think Chicago, IL. I believe Atlanta, GA was a DNS, but was recently changed. Again, I am not certain on the last two. Also, not all channels for those markets are CONUS, but the major networks (Big 4 or Big 5?) are. If and when Dish loses the right to broadcast DNS, will they convert these markets from CONUS to SPOT? I don't know, but probably not, because I think they still use them for the Trucker and RV accounts. So, it may be in your interest to move to one of those cities. And if you are able to get regular programming, you will probably be able to pick up these DNS.

Last edited:
I was looking at that RV form. It specifies that the dish antenna must be permanently attached to the vehicle and will not be used for any residence or other permanent location. It says nothing at all about the receiver(s) themselves. Possibly a useful loophole :D

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if the injunction is enforced theat RV waiver will mean nothing. The Appeals court ordered Dish to turn off EVERYONE that has distants regardless of waivers, permissions or telepathic advatages. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts