Better late...But PQ is back with a WOW!

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
For those that care.... VOOM's old PQ is back and it stunning. (at least for 3 more weeks) Sharp, vibrant and detailed. Seemed to happen the same day as the announcement, but very noticeable to this PQ critic.

I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts. :yes

I noticed this as well. The closest I will get ti this is HD Net and HD Net Movies when I switch to Cable. Arggggg.....

Yeah, I noticed it during the soccer match today and LOTR:ROTK Friday night on Starz. It figures. Once all the infrastructure and channels are in place, the plug is pulled. What a waste. I feel bad for the Voom employees.

Yeah, even UHD looked decent last night during Far And Away. Still a little soft, but I didn't notice the pixelation either.

-John

I noticed it too. I wonder if they went back to the old encoders? Because I saw the old mosquito noise back on Equator again just like we used to have. But every other channel looked great.

You know you guys are just inviting DarrellP to chime in and tell you how horrendous the PQ still is and that you are all blind, "wouldn't know good PQ if it bit you in the ass", yadda, yadda yadda. :eek:

subdude212 said:
You know you guys are just inviting DarrellP to chime in and tell you how horrendous the PQ still is and that you are all blind, "wouldn't know good PQ if it bit you in the ass", yadda, yadda yadda. :eek:
I haven't watched TV for several days, but you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be checking it out, not that it really matters now.

Subdude, I'll be you wouldn't know good PQ if it bit you in the ass, yadda, yadda, yadda. ;) BTW, according to you Avatar, it looks like you live in Montana. :D

DerrellP...I for one will be interested in your opinion.

DarrellP said:
I haven't watched TV for several days, but you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be checking it out, not that it really matters now.

Subdude, I'll be you wouldn't know good PQ if it bit you in the ass, yadda, yadda, yadda. ;) BTW, according to you Avatar, it looks like you live in Montana. :D

Right on cue and OMFG, a Laugh-In reference. I've made my living creating 3D computer renderings and animations. Having created a few million images and frames I know down to the pixel what a good image looks like and what a great image looks like. I know when an issue is real and when it is imagined.

I live in MA not MT where the government says its OK for anyone including sheep to marry. I'm guessing you live in LA or Gary, Indiana where the air is thick with smog thereby clouding your vision. :D

DarrellP said:

No, you'll never "be me", you'll have to keep on wishing or hallucinating as the case may be. :)

It is quite common for the delusional to attempt to get others to agree with them over the demons that they see in a vain attempt to prove they aren't making things up. And if that doesn't work by all means make fun of them. :D

Lets see who knows their Zappa...
I'm moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a _______ _______ ______

gutter said:
DerrellP...I for one will be interested in your opinion.
Hey Gutter, my man, Voom is still using the encoders, but some channels do look a tad better. I surfed for about an hour and a few of the Cinama 10 looked quite good, Robocop 2 especially looked excellent. Most of the pixelation with scene changes was gone, but many channels still looked on the soft side. Rave (Alanis Morriset), Rush (TEVA) and Monsters looked exceptional while Gallery, Auction and Ultra looked pretty good but still had the effects of compression. Worldsport (soccer) looked better than I've ever seen it, though the background is still quite soft and there was steaking with quick, up close movement.

It doesn't really matter anymore, but I could live with the PQ as it is on the 21 HD exclusives (except Equator, it still sucks), too bad they are getting to the point of providing a decent picture and they are shutting down. I still don't understand the problem with Equator, this should be a Hallmark channel for them, I don't get why they have never made PQ a priority with this channel. :confused:

Some of the SD channels were also vastly improved but most of them are still in the garbage can.

Subdude:
It is quite common for the delusional to attempt to get others to agree with them over the demons that they see in a vain attempt to prove they aren't making things up. And if that doesn't work by all means make fun of them.
Excellent reply, I love it. :yes

See ya around, Voomers, good luck on finding your next provider.

subdude212 said:
No, you'll never "be me", you'll have to keep on wishing or hallucinating as the case may be. :)

It is quite common for the delusional to attempt to get others to agree with them over the demons that they see in a vain attempt to prove they aren't making things up. And if that doesn't work by all means make fun of them. :D

I'm moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a a mennil-toss flykune
Dental floss Tycoon is close enough. :D

subdude212 said:

I'm moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a _______ _______ ______

Dental Floss Tycoon!!!!!

Edit (I suppose I should the entire thread before responding)

i agree 100 percent, even soccer looked stuning this morning. The last couple days Pq has been amazing, best that i have seen, it makes me only so much more pissed offabout the whole situation :-(

I thought even the premium channels looked great last night. What was really surprising was that UHD was looking good. Battlestar Galactica was stunning. Of course, then a low-budget movie came on (can't remember the title) and it looked as soft as VHS, but I think that's the source material's fault, not Voom's or UHD's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)