PQ is very thin now

softwiz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 30, 2005
Meaning there are lots of skeeters on all HD channels and it's much fuzzier than before. Lots of motion artifacts.

Voom, I hope this is temporary...

vurbano said:

R U seeing the same thing?

Of course we/I've been seeing the motion artifacts for about 2 weeks but last night was the first night I noticed how "thin" the channels look.

What do you expect, they just stuck a new HD channel and 5 or so more SD's up there. A pipe can only carry so much water, you know, and Voom's pipe is about to burst.

DarrellP said:
What do you expect, they just stuck a new HD channel and 5 or so more SD's up there. A pipe can only carry so much water, you know, and Voom's pipe is about to burst.

Have you e-mailed them or talked to a rep. I'm just about ready to call.

You guys amaze me.

To add these channels they did NOT change the PQ or compression of any channel to add them. To add the channels they used available bandwidth which was made available by the upgrade to the Harmonic Encoders which happened over the past few months.

There was no one at VOOM saying, hey guys lets add 5 channels today... can someone up the compression so we can fit them in. :)

Voom knows how many channels they can add as they are broadcasting them using special test channels which no one can see. When they add a channel they just replace the test channel with the actual channel so no extra bandwidth is being used.

That being said VOOM does know there are some PQ issues and they have Harmonic Staff on hand tweeking the encoders until you guys are happy.

If you see PQ issues do not bitch about it, instead please post a message with the channel number and describe in detail what kind of issues you are seeing. That will help out VOOM greatly and you will also be helping out other VOOM customers as well by helping to make VOOM a better product.

DarrellP said:

What new hd channel, what new sd channels, today ? (3/22)?

Scott Greczkowski said:
You guys amaze me.

To add these channels they did NOT change the PQ or compression of any channel to add them. To add the channels they used available bandwidth which was made available by the upgrade to the Harmonic Encoders which happened over the past few months.

There was no one at VOOM saying, hey guys lets add 5 channels today... can someone up the compression so we can fit them in. :)

Voom knows how many channels they can add as they are broadcasting them using special test channels which no one can see. When they add a channel they just replace the test channel with the actual channel so no extra bandwidth is being used.

That being said VOOM does know there are some PQ issues and they have Harmonic Staff on hand tweeking the encoders until you guys are happy.

If you see PQ issues do not bitch about it, instead please post a message with the channel number and describe in detail what kind of issues you are seeing. That will help out VOOM greatly and you will also be helping out other VOOM customers as well by helping to make VOOM a better product.

No ones bitching about it, we are reporting it.

Yes I've read the Harmonic White Papers. I understand that the Harmonic encoders were supposed to utilize a variable bit rates to get better use of available bandwidth.

But obviously, things are getting compressed more or we wouldn't be having the PQ issues to start with.

I look forward to the fix and I will continue to post my observations of the situation.

How about this, ALL HD channels are currently having PQ issues. Skeeters, blotching, and pixelizations. (no bitching intended)

I have been silent to this point because the last thing I want is for all of the PQ sucks group to tell me that I must need new glasses, but...

I have experienced the motion artifacts and other issues that have started since the encoder switch and they do not bother me. If I were not told on this forum that they were there, I doubt that I would even notice them.

I am watching Voom on both a Mits. 65813 and an old 27" CRT.

My wife only noticed the artifacts when I pointed them out to her.

My point is that a large group of people, myself included, would rather have these new channels even if it means that these artifacts are included. I really am happy that Voom added the two channels that I missed since ditching Directv, CMT and GAC. Based on the program guide info for Wealthtv, I am sure that I will enjoy a lot of their programs as well.

I am 100% confident that if Voom continues past this month, once they start utilizing Rainbow 2, they will increase the bandwidth they allocate to each channel which should fix the majority of the issues. However, there are several people on this board who will never be happy with anything. Give them perfect PQ and 100HD channels and they will complain that another provider offers ESPN 9 HD which shows 1 game per year in HD, but Voom must carry it now or else they will quit.

Give Voom time to make things right. They are in a tough situation right now and I am amazed that they are adding all of these channels without a long term plan for their survival in place. The fact that they want our feedback and are attempting to make things better earns them my respect.

I think some of us are just frustrated with the Pic quality right now and are venting. Until the Pic quality is fixed, I'll continue to tap my keg for a beer and prop my feet up. Beer makes women look better, so why not Voom to.

I do see that PQ has suffered but I feel confident that VOOM will get it to the level that it wqas before or even better. How many old timers remember the PQ crisis we had about one year ago? It took about 1 month but it got resolved.

softwiz said:
Have you e-mailed them or talked to a rep. I'm just about ready to call.
I email them just about every day to voice my displeasure in their service.

Dish Roamer said:
I think some of us are just frustrated with the Pic quality right now and are venting. Until the Pic quality is fixed, I'll continue to tap my keg for a beer and prop my feet up. Beer makes women look better, so why not Voom to.
Especially LAB, I love it after about the 3rd beer. :D

Walter L. your right about Voom their PQ didn't start off great. It wasn't at the level it was a month ago when they first started. When i first got Voom i didn't like the PQ at all but as time went on they got better.

Dish Roamer said:

You have a kegerator too? I love mine, although my liver hates it. ;)

007BlackMan said:
Walter L. your right about Voom their PQ didn't start off great. It wasn't at the level it was a month ago when they first started. When i first got Voom i didn't like the PQ at all but as time went on they got better.
The important thing is that VOOM recognizes that there is a problem and is working on it. In fact, Scott posted that Harmonic enginners are working with VOOM on site doing the tweaking.
This is very different from D*. No offense to D* subs, but I've seen posts at AVSForum of D* subs who have complained about PQ (HDLite) and D* response has been something like "this is the 1st time we hear about that problem".

I Love My Va Va Va VOOM. But Right Now I Think The PQ On All The Channels Has Gotten
Worse. I Know Voom Will Fix It.
I'm A Voomer Until The End, Or Until I Die In About 50 Years.

I am in the camp of not adding channels that take even 1% away from PQ. As someone has said before, we don't want VOOM to become Dish or Direct Lite. If VOOM engineers haven't gotten the message in this and other threads on specific examples and channels, they never will. I am not saying they don't recognize it either and I hope they work hard on it. I was the punch that I once had without the thin and soft PQ I see now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts