Better OTA tuner, 722(not K) or 622 or no difference?

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
Dish is sending me a 722(not k) to replace my 622. Is there any difference in the ability to pick up OTA channels? I am hoping the 722 is better. My 211 gets better OTA signal than the 622. The 622 has not been very good for me for OTA. My TV tuners and the 211 do a much better job.

Also, other than hard drive capacity, are there any other differences between the 722 and 622?

Thanks in advance!

There probably won't be any change. The only difference between the two is HD size and color. FWIW. check your OTA cable/fittings going to 622. How many splits? Might want to consider a 4-way powered splitter/amp. Really improved my set-up.

Last edited:
My connections are good and no splits . The tuner in my lg plasma gets much better reception .

any chance android app works better with the 722 rather than the 622 ? I know with the 722 I'm able to get the sling adapter and watch on my droid.

The 722 is a bigger hard drive than the 622. The 722k is bigger hard drive and the ability to record 4 shows( 2 sat & 2 ota with the ota module) at a time. I have had all three and I love the 722k for its versatility in recording.

would you recommend having them put a 722 k with o t a module on the work order rather than a 722? it's not too late for me to ask to change . my install is this saturday.

I have been having serious issues with the 722 OTA tuner and in the posts I am being told that the 722k dual OTA tuner is far better with less problems.

If I could, I'd grab a 722k.

Another plus in getting a ViP722k receiver is that you will be able to use the two-way feature. This provides an option to store the receiver’s settings into the remote, and store the remote control’s settings into the receiver. Storing settings provides a quick and easy installation later if the receiver or remote control need to be replaced. When deciding what you want keep in mind that the OTA module comes separately and will cost $50. Let us know if you interested in having the modification done to that work order.

When the 722k was first released, many people reported poor OTA reception in comparison to their 622, for example. Considering the 722k's tuner (the MT2) has an internal splitter, it's certainly plausible. Has Dish fixed/improved it ?

I did go from a 622 to a 722k but I'm less than 8 miles from the broadcast towers so even if the signal level is lower, it's not enough to be an issue.

What levels do you get with the 622 ? You're a long way from Birmingham...

When the 722k was first released, many people reported poor OTA reception in comparison to their 622, for example. Considering the 722k's tuner (the MT2) has an internal splitter, it's certainly plausible. Has Dish fixed/improved it ?

I did go from a 622 to a 722k but I'm less than 8 miles from the broadcast towers so even if the signal level is lower, it's not enough to be an issue.

What levels do you get with the 622 ? You're a long way from Birmingham...

Right. It's the second tuner that suffers because it's being split. I am close to towers as well, and have had troubles from time to time.

I only get the Birmingham stations at night or early morining. Most come in around 75%. How can I make sure I get a 722k with the module instead of the 722? I thought the module was $30, not $50.

I'm not sure that you specify the 722k vs the 722, especially if it's "free", i.e. a replacement. And even if you got a 722k, the OTA module is optional, that is, not "in the box". Is an installer doing the swap ? If so, hope he/she has a 722k and MT2 available and do your best to convince him/her to give you that. There shouldn't be any issue other than the MT2 module because Dish considers the 622, 722, and 722k "equals" -- they're all HD DVRs to Dish and not any different.

The MT2 used to be $30 but I think it's $50 now .... yeap, just checked the "Order from store" at Dish's website. Dishstore.net sells remanufactured ones for $34.99.

I have seen new modules on eBay for $38. But I'd rather have a refurb unit anyway. They have been gone through a little more thoroughly.

I called dish network and I asked them to put a 722k with over the air module on the work order. I'm doing this through dishing it up . Hopefully I'll get what I asked for.

So far I'm impressed with the 722K's I got to replace my 622's.

Between the bigger hard drive and the two-way remotes, and the possibility of the Sling Adapter, I'm happy.

TonyT@Dish Network did a great job on getting me the upgrade at a reasonable price/commit.

IIRC, the ViP722 has a newer, better chipset than the ViP622. Not a huge difference, but some. And the ViP722 does not seem to have the physical HDMI connector problems that early ViP622s had.

If the OTA signal is split, wouldn't you expect BOTH OTA tuners to be equally degraded, and not have just one suffer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)