Recorded programs "Locked"

Ghpr13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
When I record certain programs I set the option to protect them. About 2 weeks ago I "unlocked" my locks to check some stations I was wondering about, and after resetting my "locks", I few programs that I had recorded a while back but were still in "My Recordings" changed from showing the title of the program to "Locked", and now to even view the title I had to enter my password.
It seems really strange...none of the programs have anything in common with each other that I can tell. One of the ones that change from showing the title to showing "Locked" is "The Singing Nun"!
Anyone know why this happened? I can't figure it out.

Ghpr13:confused:

When that happened to me, it was because what I had recorded was on a channel I ended up locking out, so everything I had recorded from that channel prior to me locking it changed to locked event. To fix it, I added that channel back into my channel list.

Did you change your ratings in your menu? If you locked out say "PG-13" or something to keep the kids from seeing certain programs, that will lock anything on your recordings that has that rating. You just need to put in your password to unlock it.

When that happened to me, it was because what I had recorded was on a channel I ended up locking out, so everything I had recorded from that channel prior to me locking it changed to locked event. To fix it, I added that channel back into my channel list.

Cditty,
I checked that...not the case here. The Singing Nun was on TMC, while other programs were on other channels, none that have been locked out. I even checked to see if the programs were recorded off of channels I had for the two weeks I had the 250 pack. I was thinking maybe since I went back to my 200 pack, those extra channels may be where the "Locked" programs were from, but No Dice!

Did you change your ratings in your menu? If you locked out say "PG-13" or something to keep the kids from seeing certain programs, that will lock anything on your recordings that has that rating. You just need to put in your password to unlock it.

Jimmerinwi,
Have never set any of the ratings locks.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

P.S. The strange thing is that this has happened twice now. The first time only 2 of my recorded programs switched from it's titled to "Locked Event". The second time about 4 more switched to "Locked Event"...

Ghpr13:confused:

Dish has done some re-mapping of channels lately, the movie channels I remember specifically but don't know if that would be a reason. They were showing duplicate sets and I locked one of the dupe sets....from where the original came...and got locked.

Dish has done some re-mapping of channels lately, the movie channels I remember specifically but don't know if that would be a reason. They were showing duplicate sets and I locked one of the dupe sets....from where the original came...and got locked.

KAB,
This is exactly what it was. After reading the postings here, I went back to my TV and checked things a third time. This is when I notice that the programs that had changed to "Locked Event" were on channels that were re-mapped and I had locked out the old channel. Duh! I could have sworn I had checked that before...Uh...the reality of old age!
Thanks again to all who replied...I really appreciated the help.
Ghpr13:)

Yes, to confirm: that is exactly what happens. This happened to me as well, and the reason is exactly as you explained. Simple. If I didn't want to hassle entering the password to view those recordings, I just turned OFF Channel Locks, and the name of the recording show up on the DVR list. Of course, when I turned Channel Locks back ON, the recordings went back to displaying "Locked."

My problem with locks relates to the EHD. When they are in
the DVR’s list, they are listed as they should be. When I move them to the EHD,
they become Locked Events. After reading this thread I got motivated to try to
figure this one out. Low and behold, most of my problems arise from recording
OTA programs! Why they show up fine while on the DVR I don’t understand, but
there are plenty of little issues that are hidden inside the box that defy
logic. I wish there was a way to register suggestions to DISH, and actually get
some feedback from the company about the idea. Dream on!

Things that are rated NR is the most common issue. Dish Network FYI (ch 101) is rated NR not for bad content, but because it never received a rating for tv. Check the tv rating, it may be different than how it was rated as a movie (if The Singing Nun wasn't a straight-to-tv special ;) )

I do not have my OTA programs lock when I put them on the EHD. I routinely record from Antenna TV and move the recordings to the EHD.

I do however, find from time to time when I move a recording from the EHD to the DVR it comes up protected! I have not investigated if it is a program from the my other DVR, doesn't bother me enough to investigate. :)

All programs sent to the EHD become "locked". I think the intent was to prevent overwriting them by subsequent restores. Actually the DVR will not let you restore beyond the available space, so there was no need for that except for new recordings overwriting the newly restored recordings and losing them for you permanently. The restored are typically oldest so they would go first. Note, sending to the EHD requires CONTIGUOUS space.
-Ken

All programs sent to the EHD become "locked". I think the intent was to prevent overwriting them by subsequent restores. Actually the DVR will not let you restore beyond the available space, so there was no need for that except for new recordings overwriting the newly restored recordings and losing them for you permanently. The restored are typically oldest so they would go first. Note, sending to the EHD requires CONTIGUOUS space.
-Ken

Not on my DVR's. None of my programs shows the lock except as I noted in the post above. I move shows from one DVR to the EHD, and at times back to another DVR. Never does it show the lock, again except as noted above.

I do tend to "lock" the programs that I have verified are all there. As Dish does not provide any other means to mark files, I use the lock. The system locks are not enabled. Even those I do not mark so are "locked" after they are returned from the EHD. This has been so, for years.

BTW, I do not use system locks because I had things recorded on channels that I was using the system locks to avoid seeing and then you could not find the name or description without unlocking each use. Same applies to channel numbers not in use like VOOM.

Dish give us a comment field!! Preferably sortable and maybe more than one. Even just a fixed length, even just one character.

-Ken

KAB you sure know how to mess up a thread. I've seen you be rude on other threads. Sometimes you give a good answer but mostly you say to search for what could be answered in one sentence.

I think it is not too much to ask for a byte or 30 for the user.

-Ken

KAB you sure know how to mess up a thread. I've seen you be rude on other threads. Sometimes you give a good answer but mostly you say to search for what could be answered in one sentence.

I think it is not too much to ask for a byte or 30 for the user.

-Ken

Losing our sense of humor, are we?. And please, find a "search post" for me, OK???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts