Better Way of doing Sport Packages

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I just signed up for NHL Center Ice this season and it's awesome. Although I think Dish can do a better job for any sport package.

To tune into a game, it's much like any other channel, you find it on the guide and see what's on. Up until night time it says just "NHL Center Ice" since no game is being shown. If you actually tune to the channel it'll have music playing with a Dish logo.

A much better way of doing this i'd think is have an actual menu for sport packages. Kind of like Open TV, or just an additional menu option in the menu. It would then have different buttons for each game that is on that day. Like this you wouldn't have to scroll through dead air times and not miss out on a game that was being played in the afternoon instead of night. It would be just like the guide, where you can go back and forth through days, but show options just for the games that are on that day along with their times.

This idea would also save them bandwidth. Instead of setting aside seperate channels for NHL Center Ice or any other sports package they could just unblock the channel that the game is being shown for the period of the game. At least many of the NHL games on CI are on already Dish channels, like Empire, Fox Sports Net, and other regional channels. This would save quite a bit of bandwidth if they did it for all their packages.

I made a quick screenshot of what it might look like. I realize that the names of the games would be better but that might be tougher for Dish. If they had it like this and after you clicked on it it showed you the info, or like in the guide had the info on top, it'd be great. No scanning through the guide for when games are on.

nhlci.jpg
[/img]

Thats sort of what TiVo and NFL Sunday Ticket have going... I dumped NHL CI this year so I can't comment if DirecTV is doing it.

This idea would also save them bandwidth. Instead of setting aside seperate channels for NHL Center Ice or any other sports package they could just unblock the channel that the game is being shown for the period of the game. At least many of the NHL games on CI are on already Dish channels, like Empire, Fox Sports Net, and other regional channels. This would save quite a bit of bandwidth if they did it for all their packages.
Isn't this what they do already? I was under the impression that the Center Ice channels were simply remappings of the content on the RSNs.

Do that's not what they do. They allocate 10 channels (540-549) and show the games on those. Thus you're always scrolling through the guide to see which games are going to be on that night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts